Who Should Help Me with My Study Permit?

Published on: November 12th, 2021
Last updated: October 20th, 2022

Canada welcomes hundreds of thousands of international students each year. Unfortunately, many individuals and organizations take advantage of Canada’s popularity as a destination for foreign students.

While some fraudsters simply make false promises in exchange for financial and personal information, other ‘Education Agents’ are paid by unscrupulous schools to recruit international students, while also taking a cut from the prospective student.

Some post-secondary institutions have been criticized for charging high tuition fees and offering little support to international students. As international students typically pay much higher tuition fees compared to domestic students, schools like these often target prospective students abroad.

Education Agents

The Government of Canada does not regulate the role of Education Agent. As a result, any individual can claim the title of Education Agent to take money in exchange for these services. Many Education Agents work with Canadian post-secondary schools to help them recruit high-paying international students. Consequently, many international students end up at post-secondary schools that may not be the best fit for their needs.

However, the Canadian government does regulate who can offer Canadian immigration advice for a fee. Only Canadian immigration lawyers or consultants can offer advice on immigration law, including applying for authorization to migrate to Canada as a student.

Guidance for International Students

Receiving proper guidance when it comes to the process of studying in Canada is incredibly important.  After completing a post-secondary credential in Canada, many international students decide to settle permanently in Canada. Choosing the right school plays a large role in an international graduate’s ability to eventually transition to permanent resident status. It will also determine whether you are eligible for a study permit, and later, whether you can apply for a post-graduation work permit.

At Canadim, our unique International Student Program will support you through every step of the process to becoming an international student in Canada and advise on pathways for transforming a Canadian education into Canadian permanent residence.


Find out if you’re eligible for our International Student program today by completing our free online assessment form.

Free assessment

Recent articles

Living in Canada | Newcomers to Canada

5 Essential Things To Do When You First Arrive in Canada

Are you planning on immigrating to Canada? There are several things that newcomers must do once they arrive to prepare for their new life in […]

Immigration Fraud

Immigration Fraud: 5 Red Flags

The Canadim Team take Canadian Immigration fraud very seriously. Unfortunately, fraud is a prevalent problem in our industry. There are many unscrupulous individuals and companies […]

Canadian Citizenship

Benefits of Canadian Citizenship: 5 Reasons to Trade in Your PR Card

As a Canadian permanent resident, you benefit from many of the same resources as those with citizenship status. You have access to publicly funded schools and healthcare, can […]

Canada Permanent Residence

8 Reasons to Immigrate to Canada in 2023

Canada consistently ranks among the most popular destinations for newcomers to immigrate to. So it comes as no surprise that there are many great reasons […]

Work in Canada

All About Canada’s Job Match Service

The Government of Canada has a Job Match service that helps match certain foreign workers with job advertisements posted by Canadian employers. Matches are given […]

Immigration Tips

What to Do If Your Canadian Visa Was Rejected

If your Canadian visa was rejected by Immigration, Refugee, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), starting a life in Canada can seem hopeless. However, depending on the […]

Free assessment

Discover your Canadian immigration options. Get your free assessment now!