You may be eligible for the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) Self-Employed Farmer stream if you have the financial resources and farm management experience to purchase and establish a farm in Alberta.



Meeting the criteria listed below does not guarantee a nomination or permanent residence.


As a candidate, you must:

  • Prove that you have farm management skills shown by:
    • Financial documentation of your existing farm business
    • Documentation of your education, training and work experience
    • Proposed business plan for the farming enterprise you are considering in Alberta
    • Proof that a Canadian financial institution is willing to finance your proposed farming business.
  • Have sufficient financial resources to develop a sustainable farming operation.
    • You must be able to invest a minimum of CDN $500,000 of equity in a primary production farming business in Alberta.
    • You must provide documents that demonstrates you have a minimum net worth of CDN $500,000 or confirmation that you have access to a similar amount of funds from other sources.
    • The CDN $500,000 is the minimum amount. You may be required to show you have the ability to invest more than the minimum.
  • Invest in a primary production farming business in Alberta.
    • You will have to document your investment intentions in your proposed business plan.
    • Applications representing the best opportunity for growth relevant to Alberta’s agri-food targets will be given priority.

Additional criteria may be applicable.



Individuals in the following circumstances are not eligible under the AINP Self-Employed Farmer Stream:

  • Refugee claimants, or individuals involved in a federal appeal or removal process. It is not the mandate of the AINP to intervene in the federal refugee claim, appeal or removal process.
  • Live-in caregivers currently living in Canada
  • Temporary Foreign Workers working and residing in a province other than Alberta
  • International students studying in Canada and doing co-op work placements or internships as part of their study program
  • International students studying in Canada and doing co-op work placements or internships as part of their study program.


The Canadim Law Firm – Let us help you keep it simple

?> });