Temporary Work Permits vs. Permanent Residency

13 Feb, 2013 Temporary Work Permits vs. Permanent Residency

Temporary Work Permits vs. Permanent Residency

This article is meant to compliment my previous post, New Canadian Immigration Program for Filipino Nurses where I outline the advantages of the Quebec Skilled Worker program. We got a lot of feedback from the community and many of you were very interested in immigrating here as permanent residents, but I also received a lot of questions regarding temporary work permits.

The concept of a Canadian temporary work permit can sound very appealing. Often there is less paper work required and the processing times are faster when compared to a permanent residence application. All of which means, generally speaking, you can come to Canada faster.

What people often don’t consider is the temporary and inflexible nature of a work permit. With very few exceptions you are typically granted a closed work permit.

What does this mean for you? If granted a closed work permit you would be restricted to work for the same employer, at the same position until the employer no longer requires your services or when your work permit expires, whichever comes first. Or let’s say your employer no longer needs your services, what do you do? You would have to secure a new job offer with a new employer and again apply for a new work permit that might not even be successfully approved.

As an immigration attorney I hear so many sad stories of foreign workers that get fired from their jobs or their work permit expires and they lose their status and gainful employment in Canada. But most importantly to me, is that so many foreign workers are forced leave their families behind and don’t get to see their children grow up.  It is a very noble sacrifice to leave your family behind to ensure that they have what they need but what if you could do both. Make the salary you need to support your family while also having your family with you while you’re doing it.

So what’s the alternative? Canadian Permanent Residency.

Being a Canadian Permanent Resident means you are able to live and work in Canada with the same freedoms as a citizen. You don’t have to look for a Canadian job offer and put forth the extra effort of obtaining a new work permit. Additionally, Canadian Permanent Residency rights are also granted to your dependent family, which is NOT the case when dealing with temporary work permits.

For all intents and purposes, Canadian Permanent Residence is equivalent to a US Green Card. Do most people want a temporary work permit to the USA or do they want permanent status there? From my experience it tends to be the latter.

So why the obsession with Canadian work permits? The short answer is, I don’t know. But I don’t think that taking foreign workers into our country, allowing them to work (at salaries typically less than a Canadian would be entitled to), pay taxes and contribute to our society only to send them packing back to their home country is a very Canadian ideal. Could you imagine if that is how it always was? Our population would be rapidly declining, our economy shrinking and the prosperity enjoyed by so many in Canada today, would be only for the few.

For the reasons mentioned above my office does not deal temporary work permits. The majority of my clients are nurses applying from outside of Canada, for permanent residency, based on their employment and educational credentials. Many of my clients ask “do I have to be a nurse when I come to Canada? What if I want to be a doctor or stay at home and raise my children?” I am always proud to tell them that as a Canadian Permanent Resident no one can restrict your lawful employment and no employer has the power to control your status in Canada.

As a permanent resident you can be a nurse, doctor, stay at home parent or even an astronaut, the choice is yours!


Renaud Dery,

Canadian Immigration Attorney

With 15 years of experience in the Canadian Immigration field we are now leading experts in this program. Please visit our website to take our free online assessment and check us out our Facebook page to keep updated and find out about our next immigration seminars abroad as well as to see pictures and the stories of our many successful clients. Become part of our community, and then let us help you become part of the Canadian community!
  • abby valeriano
    Posted at 06:02h, 01 June Reply

    what are the requirments for temporary working visa. thanks 🙂

    • The Canadim Team!
      Posted at 13:20h, 03 June Reply

      Hi Abby,

      Great to hear from you.

      The major requirement for a Canadian Work Permit is a Canadian job offer. If you don’t have one then it is best to consider applying for Canadian Permanent Residence that way you will be able to live and work in Canada, in any occupation you like, for as long as you wish.

      Find out if you are eligible today using the following link: http://canadim.com/free-online-assessment/general-immigration.php

      We look forward to hearing from you.


      The Canadim Team!

  • Desiree
    Posted at 23:14h, 09 November Reply

    Hi, I have been working for a Canadian company the last 3 years but in my own country. Now, they are offering me to move me to Canada, specifically to Quebec, with a work permit. Once I get there I would like to start my permanent residency paper. How long can it takes considering that I will already have work permit?

    • The Canadim Team!
      Posted at 13:46h, 12 November Reply

      Dear Desiree,

      Thank you for your message.

      It will depend on several factors so what I suggest is that you contact us once you are in Quebec and we can discuss your options. If you are close to the Montreal area we would be happy to meet with you in person as well.


      The Canadim Team!

  • Anastasia Nikolaeva
    Posted at 22:39h, 18 November Reply

    I am being asked to come work in Canada on a work permit. I am U.S. Permanent resident, Russian citizen. If I come to Canda, I will lose my U.S. green card eventually. I would like to apply for residency in Canada instead. How can I apply for permanent residency right away? Or would it be temporary? I am afraid of being deported to Russia in case something happens at my job when my green card is already expired.

    • The Canadim Team!
      Posted at 16:50h, 20 November Reply

      Dear Anastasia,

      The only way you could apply for Canadian Permanent Residence now is if you are currently eligible based on your current qualifications.

      If you want to find out please take our online assessment form:


      If you want, you can email adam@canadim.com to discuss the specifics of your new job as that might, in the future, be a good way to obtain Canadian PR if you are currently not eligible.

      We look forward to hearing from you.


      The Canadim Team!

  • Sonia
    Posted at 16:38h, 03 January Reply

    I have been wanting to move to Canada permanently, But I am so confused as to what is the best and fastest option.
    so if i have a job offer and apply to get a work permit, would i then be able to apply for permanent residency after i get to Canada? and would the requirements for applying change as i am in the country?

    • The Canadim Team!
      Posted at 11:11h, 09 January Reply

      Dear Sonia,

      Thank you for taking the time to write to us.

      A Canadian job offer can allow you to come to Canada on a work permit and once you have Canadian experience, it becomes a lot easier to transition to permanent status here in Canada.

      Please be advised that we do not secure job offers for our clients. However, as a service to our followers, we do offer a job search toolbar to help you connect with Canadian employers looking to hire:


      Once you have secured a Canadian job offer then please contact us to work with both you and your employer to get you to Canada as quickly as possible.


      The Canadim Team!

  • Ly
    Posted at 12:35h, 11 January Reply


    My name is Ly, I am currently a second year student of practical programe. Can I able to apply to become permanent resident in Canada ?

  • Gerardo
    Posted at 20:47h, 21 January Reply

    I am a US resident and i am being offered a job in Canada. If i were to accept the job in Canada, would i lose my US residency? what would i need to do to keep it? thanks.

    • The Canadim Team!
      Posted at 16:34h, 26 February Reply

      Dear Gerardo,

      We are a Canadian Immigration law firm and unfortunately this matter pertains to US Immigration so I advise you to contact a US Immigration Attorney.


      The Canadim Team!

  • manny
    Posted at 20:40h, 17 September Reply

    I recently had my case resolved by Dery. You can really trust on these guys with immigration.

Post A Comment