Electronic Application for Permanent Residence (eAPR)

The electronic Application for Permanent Residence (eAPR), is the final step of the Express Entry program. The eAPR application is the proces to submit the documents that support the details listed in your initial Express Entry profile. 

find out if you qualify for Express Entry

What documents do I need for my eAPR?

The requirements you need to provide for your eAPR are those that support the qualifications claimed in your Express Entry profile as well as proof you are not inadmissible to Canada. If you cannot provide a document that is requested, always provide a letter of explanation outlining why it cannot be obtained. It is advisable to mention the attempts you have made to obtain the missing documents and provide possible alternatives. 

Documents submitted must be in English or French. If they are not, you will need to have the documents translated by a certified translator. 

Using the services of a Canadian immigration attorney can help explain to the visa office in a clear and concise manner why your documents are not exactly as requested. If you need help with your application, get in touch with us for a free consultation



A copy of the biographical data page of a passport or travel document for the principal applicant and each of their accompanying family members.

Birth certificates

For everyone included in your application, you must provide a birth certificate. There are some countries that do not issue birth certificates, in that case, you can provide a document that confirms the details of your date of birth and at least one of your parent’s names. Including a letter of explanation with your application is advisable if you are not providing an official birth certificate. 

Adoption certificates are also required in the event you have adopted children. 

Marital status

  • Single (never married): in most cases, no documents are required to prove you are single
  • Married: marriage certificate 
  • Common-law/conjugal: evidence of a genuine relationship
  • Divorced: divorce certificate for each divorce you had
  • Widowed: marriage and death certificate

You may need to provide a combination of these documents in some cases. For example, if you are divorced and then remarried, you will need to provide both your divorce certificate as well as your new marriage certificate. 


Depending on which language test you took, IRCC may already have access to your test results. However, IRCC does sometimes request a copy of your language test results. It may be a good idea to include your results with your application, otherwise, your application could be delayed if IRCC ends of requesting a copy. If your spouse took an approved language test, this should also be included. 


You need to demonstrate proof of the work experience mentioned on your Express Entry profile. To do this you will need to provide: 

  • Reference letters
  • Electronic copies of your employment contracts and a sample of payslips (if possible)

If you have claimed Canadian work experience, you must also provide:

  • T4 tax information slips
  • Notice of Assessment and Option C printouts from CRA
  • A copy of your work permit/employment authorization

Check out our guide for more information about reference letters but to summarize, your letters should include the following:

  1. Your job title
  2. Your salary
  3. The average hours/week you worked
  4. A detailed list of your employment duties 
  5. The dates of your employment

You’ll need one from each of your employers in the last 10 years. This is primarily how IRCC will decide if the National Occupational Classification (NOC) codes you’ve claimed accurately represent your experience.

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) issues documents for tax purposes to everyone who works in Canada. If you claimed Canadian work experience, you need to show proof that you did so legally, and that you paid your taxes.


  • Copies of certificates, diplomas or degrees for each completed program of post-secondary study you have claimed points for
  • Copies of transcripts for each completed secondary and post-secondary program
  • An original Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report
  • If you have claimed Canadian educational credentials, you must provide proof of successful completion of the program

Immigration Tip

Check your account regularly to see if any messages or updates from IRCC have been issued regarding your application.


You will need to provide proof that you have sufficient funds to support your relocation to Canada. These are referred to as settlement fees and vary depending on your family size. If you have an arranged employment offer that was mentioned in your application, this required is waived. 

Number of Family MembersFunds Required
If more than 7 people, for each additional family member$3,958
Required amount as of May, 2024


Electronic copies of medical examination confirmation.


You and all of your family members will need police clearance certificates from every country you or they resided in for six months or more since the age of 18.

Police clearance certificates are only valid for 12 months. So it’s important that you wait until you receive an ITA before you apply for one, otherwise, it could expire by the time your application is processed.

However, they can also take a long time to receive. Since you only have 60 days from receiving your ITA to submitting an application, this can be tricky to manage. If you have applied for police clearance certificates but do not receive them on time, you have to provide proof that you applied for them in your application. This will buy you some time for the police clearance certificates to come through.


Two (2) digital photos of you, your spouse or partner, and each dependent child.


Principal Applicant: $1325

Spouse: $1325

Dependent children: $225/child


If you have claimed points for a provincial nomination you will need to provide a copy of the nomination.


If you have claimed a relative in Canada, you must provide:

  • Proof of Canadian citizenship/permanent resident status for your relative
  • Proof your relative is residing in Canada like utility bills, Canadian tax documents or banking records
  • Proof of familial relationship with your relative in Canada


You do not need a job offer. However, if you claimed a valid job offer from a Canadian employer in your profile, you’ll need proof that the offer is legitimate by providing:

  • A letter from the employer offering the job in Canada
  • The associated LMIA number, if applicable

The letter from your Canadian employer offering you the job should be printed on the company letterhead and includes your name, the company’s contact information, and the name, title, and signature of the applicant’s immediate supervisor. 

The letter must also contain the expected start date, job title, duties and responsibilities, number of work hours per week, and annual salary plus benefits. Finally, the letter has to contain a commitment that the applicant will be employed on a continuous, paid, full-time bases for at least one year after issuance of permanent residence.

Immigration Tip

If you have claimed points for your spouse’s education, documents to support those qualifications should be provided as well. 

How long is the Procesing Time for an eAPR?

IRCC states that 80% of eAPRs are processed within six months or earlier from the date of submission. If an application is approved, then the applicant and all accompanying family members will be issued visas allowing them to travel to a Canadian Port of Entry (POE) to obtain their official permanent resident documents!

After becoming a Canadian permanent resident, individuals should be sure to educate themselves on the PR requirements to ensure they remain eligible to renew their permanent residence card or apply for Canadian citizenship.

Immigration Tip

Minimum funds are calculated based on your family size. When you’re calculating how much you need to demonstrate, don’t forget to count yourself!

Can my family members be included in an eAPR application?

Certain family members can be included in an eAPR application. These include your spouse/ common- law partner and dependent children under the age of 22. Children over the age of 22 who are financially dependent on the main applicant as a result of a physical or mental condition may also be included in the eAPR.

How much does it cost to submit an eAPR?

The costs of the application will depend on the applicant’s family size, how many countries they have lived in, and if documents need to be translated. 

  • Principal Applicant: $1325
  • Spouse: $1325
  • Dependent children: $225/child
  • Biometrics: $85/person
  • Medical examination fees: average cost – $450/adult & $250/child
  • Police clearance certificates: average cost – $100/country

How long will an application take to process once an eAPR has been submitted?

Processing of files varies and is often dependent on multiple factors. For most applications submitted via Express Entry pool, IRCC commit to processing within 6 months wherever possible. The affects of the COVID 19 pandemic have seen increased processing times by IRCC with most taking 12+ months to process. IRCC offer a great tool for up to date processing times.

Get help with your ITA/eAPR

Trust the experts at Canadim Law Firm to help you prepare a complete and accurate application for you. Canadim helps you keep Canadian immigration simple. If you have already received an Invitation to Apply, contact our team today!


Related links

Free assessment

Discover your Canadian immigration options. Get your free assessment now!