Our International Student Program

If you want to immigrate to Canada permanently, coming as an international student is a practical first step on your journey. Canadim’s International Student Program is here to make your dream into a reality! From choosing a school, to applying for a study permit, the Canadim Team is here to help you keep it simple!

Get Started

At Canadim, our unique International Student Program will support you through every step of the process to becoming an international student in Canada and advise on pathways for transforming a Canadian education into Canadian permanent residence. With so many programs and possibilities for studies in Canada, it can be confusing to find the best fit for you. At Canadim, your dedicated Educational Counsellor will get to know your needs, your goals, and your dreams in Canada, ensuring that we can find the best fit for you!

International Student Program

How the International Student Program Works

The International Student Program is divided into four stages to ensure clarity and so that you can monitor your application as it progresses through the process:

Step One: Choose a Program Your Educational Counsellor will work one-on-one with you to find the best academic program to suit your interests and career goals. We consider the length, cost, location, and course schedule when deciding on which programs to recommend.

Step Two: Apply to the School Once you and your Educational Counsellor have decided on the best level of study and educational program, we will help you prepare and submit your application for the school. You need to have a letter of acceptance from a Canadian designated learning institution (DLI) before you can apply for a study permit.

Step Three: Apply for a Study Permit With your acceptance letter in hand, you’ll be ready to apply to Canadian immigration for your study permit. If you want to attend a school in Quebec, you must also obtain a certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) before you can apply for your study permit. Your Educational Counsellor will help you to prepare and submit your immigration application. If you are married, your spouse may be eligible to apply for an open work permit as well!

Did you know?

The document allowing international students to study in Canada is called a study permit rather than a study visa. The term ‘visa’ refers to a document which allows you to enter Canada, while a ‘permit’ allows you to participate in certain activities, like working or studying!

Step Four: Discover your Immigration Options With a completed Canadian educational credential, you will be a great candidate for permanent residence. Canadian immigration programs change frequently, so it’s impossible to predict which option will be best for you. Once you’ve completed your study program, the Canadim Team will advise you of all of the options available to pursue permanent residence!

Canadim’s International Student Program provides ongoing support throughout the student application process. With this program, you can take advantage of our excellence in immigration knowledge, but more than that, you will build a lasting relationship with the Canadim Team! Those interested in becoming Canadian international students are encouraged to complete a free online assessment to get started. One of Canadim’s experts will review the assessment and reach out to discuss the results.

Benefits of Studying in Canada

There are countless benefits to pursuing studies in Canada as an international student! From on-campus programs designed to integrate students and improve their experiences, to immigration programs developed to facilitate their permanent resident immigration applications, Canada has a reputation of excellence when it comes to international students. As Canada’s international student population continues to grow, schools and governments are launching measures to improve student experiences and make it easier for international students to live and work in Canada following their studies.

Universities, colleges, and other schools offer a range of programs to help integrate international students into campus communities, including assisted English as a second-language programs. Many schools also offer competitive financial assistance packages to international students who can demonstrate high-calibre academics. The majority of Canadian international students are automatically granted authorization to work part-time during their program of study in Canada.

As well, Canada offers a post-graduation work permit, which allows most international students to stay in Canada and work after they have completed their studies. In addition to programs offered to assist students while they are enrolled in school, Canadian immigration organizations, both at the federal and the provincial levels, offer immigration programs to assist international student graduates transition to Canadian permanent residence.

Canada’s reputation as a world-class destination for international students continues to improve and shows no signs of slowing down in the future. Foreign nationals seeking a new environment to continue their education or who seek a new life in a prosperous country should definitely consider pursuing studies in Canada!

International Student Program FAQ

How long does the process take?

The length of the process depends on a few factors. First, what is your intended start date? Most academic programs in Canada have semesters which start in the months of September and January each year. While there are some exceptions to this, your preferred start date will impact the length of the process. Second, what is the application deadline for the study program?

All study programs have different application deadlines. Some might be only a few months prior to the start date, while others might require applications to be submit eight or nine months in advance. Our team requires adequate time to prepare and submit your application for admission. Once we know both your anticipated start date, as well as the application deadlines for your preferred study programs, we will be able to give a strong estimate of the process length.

How soon after I complete my program can I apply for immigration?

This depends on which immigration program to which you wish to apply and your eligibility for said program. There are many pathways to permanent residence for international students. There are a few Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) which allow international graduates to apply immediately upon graduation. As well, if you meet other conditions, like having a job offer, or already possessing Canadian experience, you might be eligible for other immigration programs.

However, one of the more common pathways for international students is through the post-graduation work permit (PGWP). Upon graduation, most international students are eligible for a PGWP, authorizing them to stay in Canada and work for a certain amount of time. Once a candidate has gained one year of full-time, skilled work experience in Canada, they often become eligible for the Canadian Experience Class, a program contained within Canada’s Express Entry system.

What duration will my PGWP be for?

A post-graduation work permit (PGWP) can be valid for any length of time between 8 months and 3 years. A PGWP will not be issued for a duration longer than the applicant’s duration of study in Canada. Generally, the PGWP will be approximately the same duration as the applicant’s period of Canadian study, up to a maximum of 3 years.

How much money do I need to show the government?

You will need to show the government that you have sufficient funds to cover both the cost of living in Canada for one year (including housing, transportation, etc.), as well as the cost of tuition for your program of study for one year. This amount varies depending on your program of study, school, and location of study.

Will I be able to apply for a PhD program?

Unfortunately, our International Student Program department cannot assist you with applying for a PhD program. Doctoral programs are highly personalized and heavily research-oriented. Due to the comprehensive knowledge of a subject required to apply for a PhD, our team cannot, in good faith, advise to this capacity.

Is IELTS a mandatory requirement?

The academic IELTS is strongly suggested when applying to a school in Canada. There are some exceptions, however, it always presents a stronger application to the government of Canada.

In addition, when applying to a school in Canada when you have not studied a program for 3-4 years in a country where English is considered an official language, you need to have language test results. To satisfy this requirement, test results from TOEFL and Academic IELTS are accepted. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Duolingo results can also now be accepted. 

For this reason, our educational counsellors will often recommend that clients take the time to obtain proof of language proficiency, as it is in their best interest to do so.

Can I bring my family?

Yes, however, including family members on a study permit application may impact the decision of the visa officer. Canadian study permits are temporary resident permits, meaning that the holder of a study permit must satisfy the visa officer that they will leave Canada when their permit expires. In some cases, if a student requests to bring their whole family with them to Canada, the visa officer might suspect that the student doesn’t really have the intention to leave Canada after their study program. In an event such as this, the visa officer may deny the study permit.

Will Canadim help me find a job?

Our law firm offers support and guidance in securing authorization to study in Canada. All Canadian study permits grant holders the authority to work while studying. Recently, the Canadian government passed temporary measures to allow students to work over 40 hours a week, until December 2023. However, our law firm does not offer employment services as these are outside the scope of immigration law.

Will Canadim help me find accommodations?

Canadian educational institutions usually have a department designed to assist international students with finding housing, accommodations, and navigating student life. Our International Student Program team will ensure that clients are made aware of such services. However, it is outside of the score of our duties to directly assist clients with finding accommodations in Canada.

What are the best jobs I can apply to in Canada with my education?

This depends highly on your program of study. If you prefer certain areas of employment, your educational counsellor will most certainly consider this when researching which schools and programs are best for you!

After my first study program, if I want to continue studying in a new program, am I eligible to do so?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a second study program in Canada after you complete your first. However, you will have to submit a new study permit application for the new program of study.

Ready to

Free Student Assessment

Let us help you become an international student in Canada! Complete our free student assessment and an academic counsellor from our International Student Program department will contact you to discuss your options.

Get Started

Related Links

Free assessment

Discover your Canadian immigration options. Get your free assessment now!