Parent or Grandparent Sponsorship

The unique Parent and Grandparent Sponsorship program, as well as the Super Visa program, allow Canadian citizens and permanent residents to sponsor parents and grandparents who wish to be reunited with their children and grandchildren.

Get Started

Parent and Grandparent Sponsorship in 2019

In the years 2017 and 2018, the Parent and Grandparent Program (PGP) introduced a lottery system for selection, so candidates were randomly selected. As of 2019, PGP has returned to a first-come, first-served system. For the 2019 PGP intake, Canadian citizens and permanent residents had to first submit an Interest to Sponsor form on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website. From this pool of interested sponsors, IRCC will process 20,000 complete applications, inviting applications from candidates based on the order in which their Interest to Sponsor forms are received. If they receive an invitation to apply, they will have 90 days to submit a complete application. 

Parent and Grandparent Sponsorship Requirements

Both the sponsor and their parent or grandparent must meet the eligibility requirements set by IRCC in order to be granted permanent resident status in Canada. For their part, the sponsor must meet the Minimum Necessary Income (MNI) required for the size of their family unit, and must also provide Canada Revenue Agency issued notices of assessment as proof that they have met the required MNI for at least three consecutive years. The sponsor will also be required to sign an undertaking that acknowledges their promise to repay social assistance benefits paid to the sponsor and their family member(s) for a period of 20 years. A supplementary undertaking will need to be signed if the sponsor lives in Quebec. The sponsor must also:

  • Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in Canada
  • Be at least 18 years of age
  • Be the child or grandchild of the person(s) they are sponsoring

Super Visa for Parents and Grandparents

If, for whatever reason, sponsorship for permanent residence is not an option, Canada offers the Super Visa for parents and grandparents. The Super Visa is a multiple-entry visitor visa that can be issued for a period of up to 10 years.

Ready to

Family Sponsorship Assessment

If you want to sponsor your spouse or children, or if you want to be sponsored, we can help! Simply complete our free sponsorship assessment and a member of the Canadim Team will contact you to discuss your options!  

Get Started

Related Links

Free assessment

Discover your Canadian immigration options. Get your free assessment now!