Temporary Resident Permit (TRP)

A Temporary Resident Permit, also known as a TRP, is a document issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada that allows people who are technically inadmissible to Canada to visit the country. A TRP is only given to a person if their need to come to Canada outweighs the risk of that person being in the country.

Get Started

Unlike other permits, such as work or study permits, a TRP is not intended for long-term stays but rather provides a temporary solution for individuals facing specific inadmissibility issues. It is a discretionary measure and is granted on a case-by-case basis, often requiring applicants to demonstrate the necessity of their visit and their ability to adhere to Canadian laws. In contrast to permanent residency or citizenship, a TRP is a short-term solution designed to address specific circumstances, making it distinct from other immigration permits in Canada.

What is a Temporary Resident Permit?

A Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) in Canada is a document that allows individuals who are otherwise inadmissible to enter or stay in the country for a specific period. This permit is typically granted to individuals who do not meet the usual entry requirements but have a valid reason for visiting Canada. For example, an individual might be granted a TRP for a visit to Canada if the trip is work related and that person’s presence in Canada will be beneficial to the country or its citizens.

Canadian Border Service officers determine which Temporary Resident Permit applications are approved. They will compare the risks of a person’s entry to the benefits it will have on Canadian society. Therefore, it is up to the applicant to demonstrate that they are deserving of temporary residence in Canada. TRPs usually cover the length of a person’s stay in Canada and if you are granted one, you must leave once your temporary residence has expired.

Who Needs a Temporary Resident Permit

Anyone who is inadmissible to Canada but has a valid need to come to the country needs a TRP. TRPs can cover either medical or criminal inadmissibility. If you are inadmissible to Canada because of a criminal conviction and you completed your sentence less than five years ago, a Temporary Resident Permit might be your best option if you need to travel to Canada. If a person is deemed inadmissible to Canada, their family members travelling with them may also be considered inadmissible. Those family members will need to apply for, and be granted, their own individual TRPs before a border officer will let them enter Canada. When a person receives a TRP and is in Canada, they must adhere to certain conditions in order to remain in the country. They must respect and follow all Canadian laws. In order to work or study in Canada during temporary residence, a person must also receive the proper permits in addition to the TRP. A temporary resident cannot leave and re-enter Canada without proper authorization. When a TRP expires, its holder must leave Canada.

Processing Time for Temporary Resident Permit

The processing time for TRP applications at a Canadian Consulate typically ranges from 3 to 6 months. However, American citizens have the option of receiving immediate processing for their TRP application, facilitated by an immigration officer at a Canadian port of entry.

Application Procedure

Applying for a Temporary Resident Permit requires that a person proves the necessity of their trip to Canada. Application procedures vary depending on the country someone is applying from. Canadian visa offices in each country will have information on their requirements. Each TRP application has a non-refundable $200CAD application fee.


Is a Temporary Resident Permit Different From a Visitor Visa?

The distinction between a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) and a Visitor Visa lies in their purposes and eligibility criteria within the Canadian immigration system. A Temporary Resident Permit is granted to individuals facing inadmissibility issues, such as a criminal record, allowing them temporary entry despite their ineligibility. It is typically issued for specific circumstances and a limited duration. On the other hand, a Visitor Visa is intended for individuals visiting Canada for tourism, business, or family purposes, and it follows the standard immigration requirements. While both involve temporary stays, a TRP addresses unique situations that may render an individual inadmissible, whereas a Visitor Visa is for those meeting the regular criteria for temporary entry. Understanding these differences is crucial for individuals navigating the Canadian immigration landscape.

Ready to

Contact Us

If you have questions or concerns relating to inadmissibility please contact us and a member of the Canadim Team will be happy to discuss your options.

Contact Us
Free assessment

Discover your Canadian immigration options. Get your free assessment now!