Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) Program

The Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program is one of the three programs contained within Canada’s Express Entry system for processing immigration applications. The FSW program allows candidates with foreign work experience and no connections to Canada to apply for permanent residency.

Check if you qualify as a federal skilled worker

Canada immigration opens numerous opportunities for skilled professionals worldwide, and the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) Program is a prime gateway for those seeking to contribute their expertise and build a future in Canada.

What is the FSW program?

The Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program is managed under the Express Entry system and uses the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) to rank candidates who wish to settle permanently in Canada. Unlike the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) candidates, Federal Skilled Workers are not required to have Canadian work experience to enter the Express Entry pool. Instead, candidates must meet a minimum points requirement based on factors such as work experience, language ability, and education. Once in the pool, applicants with the most competitive CRS scores will receive invitations to apply for Canadian permanent residence.

Who is eligible to apply under the FSW program?

In order to qualify for the FSWP, a candidate must meet certain minimum requirements regarding years of experience, level of education, age, and English or French language proficiency:

  • Work Experience
    • At least 12-months of continuous, full-time, skilled work experience completed within the previous 10 years (or an equal amount in part-time experience).
      • Skilled work experience refers to experience classified under NOC TEER 0, 1, 2 or 3.
  • Language Proficiency
    • Reach a minimum of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level 7 on an approved English or French language test.
  • Education
    • A minimum of a Canadian high school diploma or the equivalent in foreign education.
  • Financial Support
    • Enough funds to support themselves and any spouse and/or children in their settlement in Canada.
  • Residence in Canada
    • Must intend to live outside of the province of Quebec.

If a candidate meets the requirements listed above, they must also demonstrate that they score a minimum of 67 out of 100 points on the FSW eligibility points grid.

If a candidate meets these requirements, they will be eligible to submit an Express Entry profile for the program. However, candidates should note that they must meet Canada’s basic admissibility requirements. Certain criminal offences and medical conditions may make a person inadmissible to Canada.

How can I apply under the FSW program?

Interested candidates must submit an Express Entry profile to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Submitting an Express Entry profile does not guarantee a candidate will receive Canadian permanent residence. Only after submitting an Express Entry profile will a candidate be assigned a CRS score and be considered in future Express Entry draws for Invitations to Apply (ITAs) for permanent residence.

When submitting your Express Entry profile, an FSW candidate will need to provide the following documents:

  • Educational Credentials Assessment (ECA)
    In order to claim points for education, an FSW candidate must provide a valid ECA report attesting to the value of foreign education by Canadian standards. There are five organizations in Canada authorized to issue ECA reports. This is not required for educational credentials obtained from a Canadian educational institution.
  • Language Proficiency Test Results
    All candidates under the Express Entry programs must provide results from an approved language test taken within the previous two years. Accepted tests for English include the IELTS exam, and the CELPIP exam (only available in Canada). Accepted tests for French include the Test d’Évaluation de Français (TEF) and the Test de connaissance du français pour le Canada (TCF Canada).
  • Identification Documents
    Candidates will be required to provide information from identification documents. Ideally, a candidate and all accompanying family members should possess passports valid for travel.

If a candidate is successful in receiving an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for Canadian permanent residence, they will move onto the second stage of the application process. In this second stage, the applicant will have 60 days to prepare and submit an electronic Application for Permanent Residence (eAPR). This application requires further documentation.

Since the Express Entry system launched in 2015, the lowest ranking FSW candidate to receive an ITA held a CRS score of 413 points. If an applicant’s CRS score is below this score, they should actively pursue options for improving their score.

How long does it take to process an FSW application?

A Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) Express Entry profile will remain valid in the pool of candidates for a period of 12 months.

If, while in the pool of candidates, you receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA), you will have 60 days to submit a full application and documentation to the Government of Canada.

The standard processing time for Express Entry applications is six months from the time the application is received by the Canadian authorities to the issuance of a permanent residence visa.

Additional factors may affect your processing time, including:

  • The complexity and/or completeness of your application
  • The ease with which the officer can confirm the information provided in your application
  • Adding an additional family member to your application

Am I required to show settlement funds for FSW?

Federal Skilled Workers are required to demonstrate that they can provide for themselves and their families once they settle in Canada.

The funds required for settlement depend on the number of family members included in your application. Please refer to the below table for the amount required for your family size.

Number of Family MembersFunds Required
If more than 7 people, for each additional family member$3,958
Required amount as of May, 2024

For more information on what is accepted as proof of settlement funds, visit our Settlement Funds page.

If you are not able to demonstrate sufficient settlement funds, you can still apply as a Federal Skilled Worker if you first secure an offer of employment from a Canadian company.

What are the processing fees to apply under the FSW program?

The government processing fees must be remitted when submitting an application for permanent residence under the Federal Skilled Worker program. These fees are separate from a candidate’s settlement funds, which must be demonstrated as part of the Federal Skilled Worker eligibility requirements.

The processing fees to apply under the Federal Skilled Worker program are as follows:

ApplicationProcessing fee in $ CAD
Principal applicant (Processing fee and right of permanent residence fee)$1365
Spouse, common-law or conjugal partner (with right of permanent residence fee)$1365
A dependent child under the age of 22 who is not a spouse or common-law/conjugal partner, or a dependent over the age of 22 who is unable to support themselves financially due to a physical or mental conditionAdd $230 each per dependent
Last updated May 10, 2022

Do I need to provide language test results for the FSW program?

To apply under the FSW program, candidates must provide results from an approved language exam. To meet the minimum eligibly requirements, Federal Skilled Workers must score at least a CLB 7 or higher in each area of the language exam.

Federal Skilled Worker program eligible occupations

In order to be eligible for the FSW, you must have at least one year of work experience in an occupation skill type A, B, or 0. For a complete list of eligible occupations, please see below:

NOC codeOccupation titleSkill type
0012Senior government managers and officials0
0013Senior managers - financial, communications and other business services0
0014Senior managers - health, education, social and community services and membership organizations0
0015Senior managers - trade, broadcasting and other services, n.e.c.0
0016Senior managers - construction, transportation, production and utilities0
0111Financial managers0
0112Human resources managers0
0113Purchasing managers0
0114Other administrative services managers0
0121Insurance, real estate and financial brokerage managers0
0122Banking, credit and other investment managers0
0124Advertising, marketing and public relations managers0
0125Other business services managers0
0131Telecommunication carriers managers0
0132Postal and courier services managers0
0211Engineering managers0
0212Architecture and science managers0
0213Computer and information systems managers0
0311Managers in health care0
0411Government managers - health and social policy development and program administration0
0412Government managers - economic analysis, policy development and program administration0
0413Government managers - education policy development and program administration0
0414Other managers in public administration0
0421Administrators - post-secondary education and vocational training0
0422School principals and administrators of elementary and secondary education0
0423Managers in social, community and correctional services0
0431Commissioned police officers0
0432Fire chiefs and senior firefighting officers0
0433Commissioned officers of the Canadian Armed Forces0
0511Library, archive, museum and art gallery managers0
0512Managers - publishing, motion pictures, broadcasting and performing arts0
0513Recreation, sports and fitness program and service directors0
0601Corporate sales managers0
0621Retail and wholesale trade managers0
0631Restaurant and food service managers0
0632Accommodation service managers0
0651Managers in customer and personal services, n.e.c.0
0711Construction managers0
0712Home building and renovation managers0
0714Facility operation and maintenance managers0
0731Managers in transportation0
0811Managers in natural resources production and fishing0
0821Managers in agriculture0
0822Managers in horticulture0
0823Managers in aquaculture0
0911Manufacturing managers0
0912Utilities managers0
1111Financial auditors and accountantsA
1112Financial and investment analystsA
1113Securities agents, investment dealers and brokersA
1114Other financial officersA
1121Human resources professionalsA
1122Professional occupations in business management consultingA
1123Professional occupations in advertising, marketing and public relationsA
2111Physicists and astronomersA
2113Geoscientists and oceanographersA
2114Meteorologists and climatologistsA
2115Other professional occupations in physical sciencesA
2121Biologists and related scientistsA
2122Forestry professionalsA
2123Agricultural representatives, consultants and specialistsA
2131Civil engineersA
2132Mechanical engineersA
2133Electrical and electronics engineersA
2134Chemical engineersA
2141Industrial and manufacturing engineersA
2142Metallurgical and materials engineersA
2143Mining engineersA
2144Geological engineersA
2145Petroleum engineersA
2146Aerospace engineersA
2147Computer engineers (except software engineers and designers)A
2148Other professional engineers, n.e.c.A
2152Landscape architectsA
2153Urban and land use plannersA
2154Land surveyorsA
2161Mathematicians, statisticians and actuariesA
2171Information systems analysts and consultantsA
2172Database analysts and data administratorsA
2173Software engineers and designersA
2174Computer programmers and interactive media developersA
2175Web designers and developersA
3011Nursing co-ordinators and supervisorsA
3012Registered nurses and registered psychiatric nursesA
3111Specialist physiciansA
3112General practitioners and family physiciansA
3124Allied primary health practitionersA
3125Other professional occupations in health diagnosing and treatingA
3132Dietitians and nutritionistsA
3141Audiologists and speech-language pathologistsA
3143Occupational therapistsA
3144Other professional occupations in therapy and assessmentA
4011University professors and lecturersA
4012Post-secondary teaching and research assistantsA
4021College and other vocational instructorsA
4031Secondary school teachersA
4032Elementary school and kindergarten teachersA
4033Educational counsellorsA
4112Lawyers and Quebec notariesA
4152Social workersA
4153Family, marriage and other related counsellorsA
4154Professional occupations in religionA
4155Probation and parole officers and related occupationsA
4156Employment counsellorsA
4161Natural and applied science policy researchers, consultants and program officersA
4162Economists and economic policy researchers and analystsA
4163Business development officers and marketing researchers and consultantsA
4164Social policy researchers, consultants and program officersA
4165Health policy researchers, consultants and program officersA
4166Education policy researchers, consultants and program officersA
4167Recreation, sports and fitness policy researchers, consultants and program officersA
4168Program officers unique to governmentA
4169Other professional occupations in social science, n.e.c.A
5112Conservators and curatorsA
5121Authors and writersA
5125Translators, terminologists and interpretersA
5131Producers, directors, choreographers and related occupationsA
5132Conductors, composers and arrangersA
5133Musicians and singersA
5135Actors and comediansA
5136Painters, sculptors and other visual artistsA
1211Supervisors, general office and administrative support workersB
1212Supervisors, finance and insurance office workersB
1213Supervisors, library, correspondence and related information workersB
1214Supervisors, mail and message distribution occupationsB
1215Supervisors, supply chain, tracking and scheduling co-ordination occupationsB
1221Administrative officersB
1222Executive assistantsB
1223Human resources and recruitment officersB
1224Property administratorsB
1225Purchasing agents and officersB
1226Conference and event plannersB
1227Court officers and justices of the peaceB
1228Employment insurance, immigration, border services and revenue officersB
1241Administrative assistantsB
1242Legal administrative assistantsB
1243Medical administrative assistantsB
1251Court reporters, medical transcriptionists and related occupationsB
1252Health information management occupationsB
1253Records management techniciansB
1254Statistical officers and related research support occupationsB
1311Accounting technicians and bookkeepersB
1312Insurance adjusters and claims examinersB
1313Insurance underwritersB
1314Assessors, valuators and appraisersB
1315Customs, ship and other brokersB
2211Chemical technologists and techniciansB
2212Geological and mineral technologists and techniciansB
2221Biological technologists and techniciansB
2222Agricultural and fish products inspectorsB
2223Forestry technologists and techniciansB
2224Conservation and fishery officersB
2225Landscape and horticulture technicians and specialistsB
2231Civil engineering technologists and techniciansB
2232Mechanical engineering technologists and techniciansB
2233Industrial engineering and manufacturing technologists and techniciansB
2234Construction estimatorsB
2241Electrical and electronics engineering technologists and techniciansB
2242Electronic service technicians (household and business equipment)B
2243Industrial instrument technicians and mechanicsB
2244Aircraft instrument, electrical and avionics mechanics, technicians and inspectorsB
2251Architectural technologists and techniciansB
2252Industrial designersB
2253Drafting technologists and techniciansB
2254Land survey technologists and techniciansB
2255Technical occupations in geomatics and meteorologyB
2261Non-destructive testers and inspection techniciansB
2262Engineering inspectors and regulatory officersB
2263Inspectors in public and environmental health and occupational health and safetyB
2264Construction inspectorsB
2271Air pilots, flight engineers and flying instructorsB
2272Air traffic controllers and related occupationsB
2273Deck officers, water transportB
2274Engineer officers, water transportB
2275Railway traffic controllers and marine traffic regulatorsB
2281Computer network techniciansB
2282User support techniciansB
2283Information systems testing techniciansB
3211Medical laboratory technologistsB
3212Medical laboratory technicians and pathologists' assistantsB
3213Animal health technologists and veterinary techniciansB
3214Respiratory therapists, clinical perfusionists and cardiopulmonary technologistsB
3215Medical radiation technologistsB
3216Medical sonographersB
3217Cardiology technologists and electrophysiological diagnostic technologists, n.e.c.B
3219Other medical technologists and technicians (except dental health)B
3222Dental hygienists and dental therapistsB
3223Dental technologists, technicians and laboratory assistantsB
3232Practitioners of natural healingB
3233Licensed practical nursesB
3234Paramedical occupationsB
3236Massage therapistsB
3237Other technical occupations in therapy and assessmentB
4211Paralegal and related occupationsB
4212Social and community service workersB
4214Early childhood educators and assistantsB
4215Instructors of persons with disabilitiesB
4216Other instructorsB
4217Other religious occupationsB
4311Police officers (except commissioned)B
4313Non-commissioned ranks of the Canadian Armed ForcesB
5211Library and public archive techniciansB
5212Technical occupations related to museums and art galleriesB
5222Film and video camera operatorsB
5223Graphic arts techniciansB
5224Broadcast techniciansB
5225Audio and video recording techniciansB
5226Other technical and co-ordinating occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting and the performing artsB
5227Support occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting, photography and the performing artsB
5231Announcers and other broadcastersB
5232Other performers, n.e.c.B
5241Graphic designers and illustratorsB
5242Interior designers and interior decoratorsB
5243Theatre, fashion, exhibit and other creative designersB
5244Artisans and craftspersonsB
5245Patternmakers - textile, leather and fur productsB
5253Sports officials and refereesB
5254Program leaders and instructors in recreation, sport and fitnessB
6211Retail sales supervisorsB
6221Technical sales specialists - wholesale tradeB
6222Retail and wholesale buyersB
6231Insurance agents and brokersB
6232Real estate agents and salespersonsB
6235Financial sales representativesB
6311Food service supervisorsB
6312Executive housekeepersB
6313Accommodation, travel, tourism and related services supervisorsB
6314Customer and information services supervisorsB
6315Cleaning supervisorsB
6316Other services supervisorsB
6331Butchers, meat cutters and fishmongers - retail and wholesaleB
6341Hairstylists and barbersB
6342Tailors, dressmakers, furriers and millinersB
6343Shoe repairers and shoemakersB
6344Jewellers, jewellery and watch repairers and related occupationsB
6346Funeral directors and embalmersB
7201Contractors and supervisors, machining, metal forming, shaping and erecting trades and related occupationsB
7202Contractors and supervisors, electrical trades and telecommunications occupationsB
7203Contractors and supervisors, pipefitting tradesB
7204Contractors and supervisors, carpentry tradesB
7205Contractors and supervisors, other construction trades, installers, repairers and servicersB
7231Machinists and machining and tooling inspectorsB
7232Tool and die makersB
7233Sheet metal workersB
7235Structural metal and platework fabricators and fittersB
7237Welders and related machine operatorsB
7241Electricians (except industrial and power system)B
7242Industrial electriciansB
7243Power system electriciansB
7244Electrical power line and cable workersB
7245Telecommunications line and cable workersB
7246Telecommunications installation and repair workersB
7247Cable television service and maintenance techniciansB
7252Steamfitters, pipefitters and sprinkler system installersB
7253Gas fittersB
7282Concrete finishersB
7284Plasterers, drywall installers and finishers and lathersB
7291Roofers and shinglersB
7294Painters and decorators (except interior decorators)B
7295Floor covering installersB
7301Contractors and supervisors, mechanic tradesB
7302Contractors and supervisors, heavy equipment operator crewsB
7303Supervisors, printing and related occupationsB
7304Supervisors, railway transport operationsB
7305Supervisors, motor transport and other ground transit operatorsB
7311Construction millwrights and industrial mechanicsB
7312Heavy-duty equipment mechanicsB
7313Heating, refrigeration and air conditioning mechanicsB
7314Railway carmen/womenB
7315Aircraft mechanics and aircraft inspectorsB
7316Machine fittersB
7318Elevator constructors and mechanicsB
7321Automotive service technicians, truck and bus mechanics and mechanical repairersB
7322Motor vehicle body repairersB
7331Oil and solid fuel heating mechanicsB
7332Appliance servicers and repairersB
7333Electrical mechanicsB
7334Motorcycle, all-terrain vehicle and other related mechanicsB
7335Other small engine and small equipment repairersB
7361Railway and yard locomotive engineersB
7362Railway conductors and brakemen/womenB
7371Crane operatorsB
7372Drillers and blasters - surface mining, quarrying and constructionB
7373Water well drillersB
7381Printing press operatorsB
7384Other trades and related occupations, n.e.c.B
8211Supervisors, logging and forestryB
8221Supervisors, mining and quarryingB
8222Contractors and supervisors, oil and gas drilling and servicesB
8231Underground production and development minersB
8232Oil and gas well drillers, servicers, testers and related workersB
8241Logging machinery operatorsB
8252Agricultural service contractors, farm supervisors and specialized livestock workersB
8255Contractors and supervisors, landscaping, grounds maintenance and horticulture servicesB
8261Fishing masters and officersB
9211Supervisors, mineral and metal processingB
9212Supervisors, petroleum, gas and chemical processing and utilitiesB
9213Supervisors, food and beverage processingB
9214Supervisors, plastic and rubber products manufacturingB
9215Supervisors, forest products processingB
9217Supervisors, textile, fabric, fur and leather products processing and manufacturingB
9221Supervisors, motor vehicle assemblingB
9222Supervisors, electronics manufacturingB
9223Supervisors, electrical products manufacturingB
9224Supervisors, furniture and fixtures manufacturingB
9226Supervisors, other mechanical and metal products manufacturingB
9227Supervisors, other products manufacturing and assemblyB
9231Central control and process operators, mineral and metal processingB
9232Central control and process operators, petroleum, gas and chemical processingB
9235Pulping, papermaking and coating control operatorsB
9241Power engineers and power systems operatorsB
9243Water and waste treatment plant operatorsB

How do I calculate my CRS points?

In order to submit a program under the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), you must meet a minimum score of 67 on the FSW points grid. To calculate your Federal Skilled Worker score, you can check your points against the grids below.

For a free assessment of your eligibility for the Federal Skilled Worker Program, complete our free online assessment form today!

Language Proficiency28
Work Experience15
Arranged Employment10
Minimum Pass Score67

Factor 1: Education

Level of EducationPoints
Doctoral (PhD) level25
Master's level23
Two or more post-secondary degrees - at least one for a program of at least 3 years22
Post-secondary degree - 3 years or longer21
Post-secondary degree - 2 years19
Post-secondary degree - 1 year15
Secondary school5

Factor 2: Language Proficiency

Language Proficiency
EnglishIELTS ScorePoints
First Official LanguageSpeakingListeningReadingWriting
CLB 966666 pts/ability
CLB 855555 pts/ability
CLB 744444 pts/ability
Second Official Language (OPTIONAL)
*Score must be met in all four abilities44444 points
EnglishCELPIP ScorePoints
CLB 999996 pts/ability
CLB 888885 pts/ability
CLB 777774 pts/ability
Second Official Language (OPTIONAL)
*Score must be met in all four abilities55554 points
FrançaisMarque TEFPoints
Première langue officielleExpression oraleCompréhension de l'oraleCompréhension de l'écritExpression écrite
NCLC 9371+298+248+371+6 pts/compétence
NCLC 8349-370280-297233-247349-3705 pts/compétence
NCLC 7310-348249-279207-232310-3484 pts/compétence
Seconde langue officielle (OPTIONELLE)
*vous devez atteindre le seuil minimal dans chacune des quatre compétences linguistiques226-371+181-298+151-248+226-371+4 points
FrançaisMarque TCFPoints
Première langue officielleExpression oraleCompréhension de l'oraleCompréhension de l'écritExpression écrite
NCLC 914+523+524+14+6 pts/compétence
NCLC 812-13503-522499-52312-135 pts/compétence
NCLC 710-11458-502453-49810-114 pts/compétence
Seconde langue officielle (OPTIONELLE)
*vous devez atteindre le seuil minimal dans chacune des quatre compétences linguistiques6+369-397+375-405+6+4 points

Factor 3: Age

Under 180
47 and older0

Factor 4: Work Experience

Work ExperiencePoints
6 or more years15
4-5 years13
2-3 years11
1 year9

Factor 5: Arranged Employment

Arranged EmploymentPoints
You currently work in Canada on a temporary work permit.Your work permit is valid both when you apply and when the visa is issued (or you are authorized to work in Canada without a work permit when your visa is issued)


IRCC issued your work permit based on a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC). Your employer would have applied for the LMIA, which you then had to attach to your application to IRCC


You are working for an employer named on your work permit who has made a permanent job offer based on you being accepted as a skilled worker.
You currently work in Canada in a job that is exempt from the LMIA requirement under an international agreement (such as, the North America Free Trade Agreement) or a federal-provincial agreement.Your work permit is valid both when you apply and when the visa is issued (or you are authorized to work in Canada without a work permit when your visa is issued)


Your current employer has made a permanent job offer based on you being accepted as a skilled worker


You have been working for that employer for at least 1 continuous year, full-time or part-time equivalent.
You currently do not have a work permit, or do not plan to work in Canada before you get a permanent resident visa.


You are currently working in Canada and a different employer has offered to give you a permanent full-time job


You are currently working in Canada in a job that is exempt from a Labour Market Impact Assessment, but not under an international or federal-provincial agreement.
An employer has made you a permanent job offer based on you being accepted as a skilled worker


The employer has a positive Labour Impact Assessment from ESDC

Factor 6: Adaptability

Your past work in Canada

You did at least one year of full-time work in Canada (NOC Skill Type 0, A or B) with a valid work permit or while authorized to work in Canada.
Your spouse or partner's full-time work in Canada

Your spouse or common-law partner did at least one year of full-time work in Canada on a valid work permit or while authorized to work in Canada.
Your past study in Canada

You finished at least two academic years of full-time (15 hrs/week) study in a program at least two years long at a secondary or post-secondary school in Canada, and stayed in good academic standing during that time.
Your spouse or partner's past study in Canada

Your spouse or common-law partner finished at least two academic years of full-time (15 hrs/week) study in a program at least two years long at a secondary or post-secondary school in Canada, and stayed in good academic standing during that time.
Arranged Employment in Canada

You earned points under Factor 5: Arranged Employment
Your spouse or partner's language level

Your spouse or common-law partner has a language level in either English or French at CLB 4 level or higher in all four language abilities (IELTS Listening 4.0, Reading 4.5, Writing 3.5, Speaking 4.0)
Relatives in Canada

You, or your spouse or common-law partner, have a relative who is living in Canada AND 18 years or older AND a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, either a:

  • parent,

  • grandparent,

  • child,

  • grandchild,

  • child of a parent (sibling),

  • child of a grandparent (aunt or uncle),

  • or grandchild of a parent (niece or nephew)


What is the difference between my FSW eligibility points and CRS score?

In order to submit a profile as a Federal Skilled Worker (FSW), you must meet the minimum of 67 eligibility points.  Once you can submit an Express Entry profile to the pool of candidates, you are ranked by the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) and given a CRS score. All candidates that enter the Express Entry pool are given a CRS score, but only FSW candidates need to meet the minimum FSW score.

What is foreign work experience?

To be eligible to submit an Express Entry profile, Federal Skilled Workers must have at least one year of full-time (or part-time equivalent) foreign work experience. Foreign work experience is any paid work experience acquired outside of Canada within the past 10 years.

The work experience must be in National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type A, B, or 0. To determine the skill type of your work, you will first need to find your NOC code.

How do I calculate CRS points for foreign work experience?

Foreign work experience CRS points are calculated as part of the skill transferability factors in combination with a candidate’s:

  1. Official language proficiency; and
  2. Canadian work experience.

Having three or more years of foreign work experience will allow you to claim the highest amount of points under these factors. See the below tables for a full breakdown of foreign work experience CRS points.

Foreign Work Experience and Official Language Proficiency

Years of ExperiencePoints for foreign work experience + CLB 7Points for foreign work experience + CLB 9
No foreign work experience 00
1-2 years of foreign work experience 1325
3+ years of foreign work experience 2550

Foreign Work Experience and Canadian Work Experience

Years of ExperiencePoints for foreign work experience + 1 year of Canadian work experience Points for foreign work experience + 2 or more years of Canadian work experience
No foreign work experience 00
1-2 years of foreign work experience 1325
3+ years of foreign work experience 2550

How do I calculate FSW points for part-time work experience?

Part-time work for Federal Skilled Workers can be calculated one of two ways:

  1. Combining the total number of hours worked per week in two or more part-time, skilled roles (eg. 15 hrs/week in job A + 15 hrs/week in job B = 30 hrs/week)
  2. Combining the total hours worked in one part-time job over the period of two or more years (eg. 15 hrs/week for two years = 1 year equivalent of full-time work) 15 hours per week in one part-time job over a period of two years, etc).

All part-time roles must be in NOC skill type A, B, or 0 to be considered toward one’s eligibility for the Federal Skilled Worker program.

Is the Federal Skilled Worker program open?

Express Entry draws for Federal Skilled Worker candidates have been paused since December 2020. The Canadian government recently announced that draws targeting federal skilled workers would resume in early July 2022.

That said, FSW candidates may submit a profile at any time. While FSW candidates may not be invited in a federal Express Entry draw until July 2022, provinces continue to invite candidates for the chance to be nominated for permanent residency through Provincial Nominee Programs.

Can a Federal Skilled Worker work in Quebec?

According to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, Federal Skilled Workers are persons who have the intention to become economically established in Canada and reside in a province outside of Quebec.
Therefore, to be eligible for the program, you must not intend to reside in the province of Quebec. If you intend to settle in Quebec, you should immigrate through a Quebec immigration program. However, you may work for a Quebec company as long as you can sufficiently demonstrate your intention to reside in another province.

Is there an age limit to apply for under the FSW program?

There is no age limit to apply under the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program. However, after the age of 35, candidates will begin to lose points toward the FSW eligibility requirement. After the age of 29, candidates will also lose points toward the age factor of their Comprehensive Ranking Score (CRS). For this reason, candidates with lower age points may need to increase their eligibility points and CRS score through other factors.

Can my spouse and children be included in my FSW application?

Individuals applying under the Federal Skilled Worker may include their children and spouse on their application for permanent residence. However, an applicant should consider how their Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score may be affected when applying with a spouse.

Can I include my parents on my Federal Skilled Worker application?

Unfortunately, parents cannot be included on an application for permanent residence through the Federal Skilled Worker program. However, after becoming a permanent resident, you may be eligible to sponsor your parents to come to Canada.

Do I need a job offer to apply under the FSW Program?

A job offer is not required for the Federal Skilled Worker program. In fact, a large majority of candidates invited under the Express Entry system do not have a formal Canadian job offer. That said, having a valid job offer may increase a Federal Skilled Worker’s CRS score by 50-200 points. To qualify for these points, the job offer will likely require a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

I have a criminal background or serious medical condition - can I still apply under the FSW program?

If you have a criminal record or serious medical condition, you may be considered inadmissible to Canada and unable to successfully apply under the Federal Skilled Worker program. However, inadmissibility is not necessarily a permanent ban from entering Canada. There are solutions available to help people otherwise considered inadmissible to enter Canada. Visit our inadmissibility page for more information.

Ready to

Free Immigration Assessment

Discover your Canadian immigration options! Complete our free assessment today and a member of the Canadim Team will contact you to discuss your immigration to Canada.

Find out if you qualify to Immigrate to Canada

Related Links

Free assessment

Discover your Canadian immigration options. Get your free assessment now!