CanadaCanada immigrationCanadian Immigration 2017

Which Canadian Visa is Right for You?

Published on: October 16th, 2017
Last updated: February 7th, 2022

You’ve decided you want to move to Canada, but what now? The first and most important step is to decide which Canadian visa is right for you.

There are several different permanent and temporary Canadian visa options. Understanding each type of visa category will help you figure out which one you fall into and how best to prepare your application.

Free Assessment

Temporary Visa

A temporary visa allows foreign nationals to come to Canada for a short period. What you can do while you’re in Canada depends on what kind of temporary visa you have. If you’re in Canada on a temporary visa, you must leave once your visa expires.

If you don’t plan on settling in Canada long-term, a temporary visa could be the right program for you.

Coming to Canada as a student or a worker could also provide you with a pathway to permanent status if you’re not currently eligible for any permanent residence immigration programs.

1. Work

Anyone with a work permit is allowed to live and work in Canada for the duration of the work permit validity period as long as they respect the conditions in the work permit.

Open Work Permit:

This type of permit allows you to work for any employer anywhere in Canada and doesn’t require a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). This is a highly sought-after but not very common permit and usually is only available to adults accompanying their family members on a study permit.

Employer specific work permit:

If you have a valid job offer from a specific employer, you may be eligible to enter Canada on an employer-specific work permit. An employer-specific work permit usually requires an Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) which is a document that proves the employer tried to find a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident to fill the role, before it was offered to a foreigner.

Anyone wishing to switch jobs after entering Canada on an employer specific work permit will be required to apply for a new work permit.

Post-graduation Work Permit:

This is an open work permit that allows international graduates to live and work in Canada after they graduate. Lasting up to three years, the exact length of the Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) will depend on the length of the course/program you studied.

International Experience Canada (IEC):

Canada has signed bilateral agreements with certain countries, allowing citizens of those countries to travel and work in Canada under International Experience Canada (IEC). The three categories which fall under the IEC are:

  1. Working holiday: Candidates working for multiple employers without a job offer, possibly with multiple locations, with the aim of being able to earn money to travel.
  2. Young professional: If your current Canadian job offers contributes to your professional development, you can work for the same employer in one location during your time in Canada.
  3. International Co-op Internship: Anyone registered at a post-secondary institution with a valid job offer for a work placement/internship in Canada can apply for an employer-specific work permit under this category. This also applies to someone who is required to complete an internship in order to complete their studies and would like to work for the same employer in the same location during their stay in Canada.

2. Study

If you want to study at a Canadian institution in a program that lasts more than six months, you must have a study permit.

To apply for a study permit, you must first be accepted into a program at a Canadian school and show a letter of acceptance from a Canadian school. To study in Canada, you must also prove you have sufficient funds, are not inadmissible, and intend to leave Canada once your permit expires.

Studying in Canada is also a good option for candidates who are not currently eligible for a permanent immigration program. Completing a credential from a Designated Learning Institute (DLI) in Canada can allow you to apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP), gaining valuable Canadian work experience that can eventually be used to apply for permanent residence.


Anyone wishing to study in Quebec must apply for a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) before applying for a study permit in the school, if its located in Québec. You must have been accepted into a program before you can apply for a CAQ.

3. Visitor

If you plan on visiting Canada, you will need one of the following to enter the country.

Single Entry Visa:

This allows you to visit Canada one time, for a fixed period of time. After leaving the country you will need to reapply for a new visitor visa to return, even if your initial single-entry visa is still valid. You can stay in Canada for a maximum time of 6 months on this visa.

Multiple Entry Visitor Visa:

This visa allows visitors to enter and leave the country for a period of up to 6 months, without needing to reapply each time. This type of visa can be valid for up to 10 years. Even if you apply for a single-entry visa, you are automatically considered for a multiple entry visa, thanks to a change in immigration law in February 2014.

Super Visa:

The Super Visa can be issued to parents or grandparents of someone already living in Canada as a citizen or permanent resident. It is an extended stay temporary resident multiple-entry visa that lasts for up to 10 years. Also, the visitor can remain in Canada for up to 24 months on their initial visit, as opposed to a maximum time of up to 6 months for single and multiple-entry visitor visa.

Electronic Travel Authorization:

If you plan on entering Canada, don’t hold a valid study or work permit, and are a citizen of a visa-exempt country, you need to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) if you plan on entering Canada by air. The only exception is for US citizens, who can enter Canada without an ETA as long as they are travelling on a US passport.

Permanent Residence

If you have decided you want to move permanently to Canada, then you need to apply for Canadian permanent residence. Regardless of which of the following immigration routes you choose, they all lead to Canadian permanent residence.

Once you become a Canadian permanent resident, you will be free to look for work in any occupation of your choosing and can sponsor a spouse, your parents or even grandparents in the future.

1. Express Entry

Express Entry is Canada’s fastest and most popular pathway to permanent residence. The Express Entry system manages three main economic immigration programs: Federal Skilled Workers, Federal Skilled Trades, and Canadian Experience Class.

If you’re eligible for one of the programs managed by Express Entry, you must submit a profile to the Express Entry pool. Once in the pool, your profile is ranked against the profiles of all the other candidates in the pool. The candidates who rank the highest in the pool are then issued an ITA (Invitation to Apply) for Canadian permanent residence.

Applications submitted through the Express Entry system may be processed within as little as six months.

Federal Skilled Worker Program:

If you have at least one year of skilled work experience, meet minimum language requirements in French or English, and score at least 67 out of 100 points on the FSW selection grid, you may be eligible to apply to Express Entry under the Federal Skilled Worker Program.

Federal Skilled Trades Program:

If you have two years of experience in a skilled trade, meet minimum language requirements in French or English, and have either a Canadian certificate of qualification to practice your trade in Canada or a job offer in your skilled trade in Canada, you may be eligible to apply to Express Entry under the Federal Skilled Trades program.

Canadian Experience Class:

If you have worked for at least one year in Canada on a valid work permit you are eligible for this program, and meet minimum language requirements, you may be eligible to apply to Express Entry under Canadian Experience Class. Keep in mind, however, that your profile will still be ranked against everyone else in the pool, regardless of the program for which they are eligible.

2. Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)

Every province in Canada, except Quebec, operates its own immigration streams, known as Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP). The eligibility criteria and application guides vary for each stream in each province.

While many PNPs require a connection to the province to apply, there are many programs for overseas workers that help respond to specific labour market or demographic gaps.

3. Quebec Immigration

The Province of Quebec has more autonomy in immigration policies than other Canadian provinces.

All temporary or permanent visa applicants that intend to reside in the province of Quebec must first apply to the province for approval before applying to the federal government.

Quebec Experience Class:

This accelerated Canadian immigration program is run by Immigration Quebec and is the Quebec equivalent of the Canadian Experience Class program. To be eligible for Quebec Experience Class (PEQ), you need to either be a temporary worker or an international student in Quebec.

If you’re a temporary worker, you must have an eligible work permit and be working for an employer in Quebec. You must also have at least 12 months of work experience (Skill level O, A or B), and advanced-intermediate French proficiency.

If you’re an international student, or recent international student graduate, you have to have an eligible degree or expect to complete your program within six months, and have advanced-intermediate French proficiency.

Quebec Skilled Worker:

Unlike many other provincial programs, the Quebec Skilled Worker (QSW) program does not require a job offer. It also does not require French language proficiency.

QSW operates on a points system similar to Express Entry. Candidates must first meet the minimum score requirement on the QSW points grid to submit an Arrima profile.

Quebec then holds regular draws where they invite the top-ranking candidates to apply for permanent selection.

4. Sponsorship

If you have a spouse or a common-law or conjugal partner who is a permanent resident of Canada or a Canadian citizen, then you are eligible for spousal sponsorship. There are two options, either inland or outland sponsorship. If the person being sponsored resides outside of Canada, it’s an outland sponsorship. If they reside inside Canada, it’s considered inland. The two types generally have different expected processing times.

Canadian permanent residents and citizens can also sponsor their dependent children, their parents, or their grandparents for Canadian permanent residence.


Immigrating to Canada can be tricky without help, and a qualified immigration lawyer can help you make all the right choices, paving the path to a successful outcome.

Get Started

Recent articles

Immigration Tips

What is the CELPIP Test for Canadian Immigration?

CELPIP stands for the Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program and is an English test that allows test takers to demonstrate their ability to function […]

Canada Permanent Residence

How Soon Should You Move to Canada After Your PR is Approved?

If your overseas Express Entry permanent residence (PR) application has been approved, you will eventually need to move to Canada. Many new confirmed PRs choose […]

Canada Work Permit

Top In-Demand Jobs in Canada for 2022

The job vacancy rate in Canada was at an all-time high in the first quarter of 2022. While various jobs are in-demand across Canada, several […]

Canada Permanent Residence

How Does Canada Verify Work Experience for Immigration?

When applying for Canadian permanent residence, immigration officers may use several methods to verify your work experience history.


5 Ways to Stay in Canada After Your PGWP Expires

With FHS Express Entry draws paused indefinitely, many international graduates feel limited in their options to remain in Canada after their PGWP expires.

Study Permit

Do I Need a Permit to Study Online in Canada?

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed education across the globe; with online learning becoming the new norm, there has been some confusion surrounding whether a permit is required to study online in Canada.


Crimes That Will Make You Inadmissible to Canada

If you have a criminal record and are planning to come to Canada, it is important to understand the types of crimes that will make […]

Canada Permanent Residence

Top Four Best Provinces in Canada for New Immigrants

A question we are often asked is, “What is the best province in Canada for immigrants?” With Canada being the second-largest country in the world, […]

Study Permit

Can a Study Permit be Changed to a Work Permit in Canada?

Looking to change from a study permit to a work permit? The process will depend on where you are at in your program.

Canada Permanent Residence

Temporary Resident to Permanent Resident (TR to PR) Pathway (closed)

As of May 6, 2021, essential workers and international graduates currently working in Canada can apply for Canadian permanent residency under favourable new Immigration programs.

Canada Work Permit

Canada Launches New Open Work Permit for Hong Kong Residents

Starting February 8th 2021, eligible Hong Kong residents can apply for a 3 year Canadian open work permit, designed to give highly educated Hong Kong residents the opportunity to gain valuable Canadian work experience.

Canada Permanent Residence

Landing in Canada During COVID-19

In order to finish your application process for Canadian permanent residency, you need to land in Canada. As of June 21, 2021, applicants who have […]

Canada Permanent Residence

How to Immigrate to Canada From Nigeria

Nigerian immigration to Canada has become increasingly popular in recent years. In fact, Nigeria is one of the main source countries of Canada’s immigrant population; […]

Canada Permanent Residence

How to Immigrate to Canada From Lebanon

The Lebanese population in Canada is one of the fastest growing demographics. In 2001, there were nearly 144,000 Lebanese in Canada. According to the 2016 […]

Canada Permanent Residence

Best Ways to Immigrate to Canada From India in 2022

There are many options to immigrate to Canada from India. In fact, Indian nationals have the highest success rate when applying for Canadian immigration compared […]

Work in Canada

The Ultimate Guide to Finding a Job in Canada in 2022

Many foreign nationals look to Canada as a land of opportunity, hoping to secure a comfortable life for themselves and their families. One of the […]

International Students

Can you Study in Canada Without Taking the IELTS?

Most colleges and universities require international students to show they are comfortable working in English or French, but there are some exceptions. Hopeful international students […]

Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program

Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program (AIPP): How to find a job offer

Canada’s Atlantic Immigration Program (AIP) has been growing in strides since its introduction in 2017, and has quickly become a promising option for those interested […]

International Students

PNP Immigration Options for International Students in 2022

If you want to come study in Canada as an international student, you might be wondering which province you should study in. Are there benefits to […]

Study Permit

5 Steps to Getting your Canadian Study Permit

Canada is becoming an increasingly popular destination for international students coming from all over the world. Before you can come to study in Canada, there are a few […]

Living in Canada

Best Places to Relocate in Canada From the US

Considering making the move across the border from the U.S. to Canada? You’re not alone. In 2021, close to 12,000 U.S. residents made the move […]

International Students

Studying in Canada vs the USA: Six Big Reasons to Choose Canada

Speedy processing times for study permits, top-quality educational institutions, and an open and welcoming society are just some of the factors that influence international students […]

Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)

How to Get a Canadian Provincial Nomination Certificate

Provincial nomination certificates have become an increasingly popular way to immigrate to Canada. There are dozens of Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs), each with its own […]

International Students | Study Permit

5 Reasons Canadian Study Permit Applications Get Refused

Studying in Canada is a dream come true for many international students. When you receive a letter of acceptance from a Canadian school, it might […]

Immigration Tips

How to Write a Reference Letter for Canadian Immigration

To be eligible for most Canadian economic immigration programs, you need to have some work experience. For many streams, that work experience needs to be […]

International Students

How to Bring Your Family With You While Studying in Canada

There are a lot of great benefits to being an international student in Canada, including the ability to bring family with you while you study.  […]

Work in Canada

How to Immigrate to Canada as a Tech Worker

Canada’s tech sector is booming and needs labour to sustain its growth; for this reason, the Canadian government offers ample immigration options for tech workers […]

Canada Permanent Residence

Immigrating to Canada as a Single Parent

If you are planning to immigrate to Canada as a single parent, there are few things you should know before you start the process.


Immigrating to Canada as a Recent Graduate

Canada’s low employment rate, high quality of life, and boundless opportunities make it a great country for new graduates. If you’ve just completed a foreign […]

Immigration Tips

What is an AOR in Canadian Immigration?

An Acknowledgment of Receipt (AOR) is an official document that confirms that Immigration, Refugees, Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has received your application. IRCC issues an AOR […]

Free assessment

Discover your Canadian immigration options. Get your free assessment now!