Hey there. You’re visiting our new site. Click here to go back to the previous version of our website.

The Educational Credential Assessment

Did you know: An Educational Credential Assessment is an assessment of your degree/diploma compared to Canadian standards of education. It is important to note that you only need an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) if you intend to apply under the Express Entry system. You need to have all significant degrees/diplomas (8 months or longer) assessed. So if you have a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree, you need two ECA reports.

Free Assessment

Under the Express Entry system your IELTS test results and the ECA must be obtained before you submit your application. Other categories of Canadian Immigration like the Quebec Skilled Worker program do not require an ECA.

If you already have a Canadian degree an ECA is not required. It should be mentioned that if you have graduated from a Canadian university or college and you already have some Canadian work experience, you will have a better chance of being invited to apply for Canadian Permanent Residence under the Express Entry system. Given the fact that the Canadian Experience Class and provincial nominee programs favour applicants with work and/or education in Canada, and the Express Entry system controls the intake of both programs, you will have multiple categories of Canadian Immigration you could be eligible for.

The ECAs are done by designated third party organizations. The results of the evaluation will be how the visa officer assigns points for your education out of a maximum of 25 points.

Useful Tips

Order more than one set of transcripts and diplomas from your school so you have copies to provide to Immigration Canada as well as the organization performing the ECA.

If you are married or have a common-law partner, and they have post-secondary education, it is advisable to also have an ECA done for your spouse. It could make your application rank higher, and therefore more likely to be selected out of the pool of applicants under the Express Entry system.

You must provide the original ECA with your application. Do not have the organization send it directly to the visa office.

If you are applying as a physician you must get your ECA done here.

Get Started


The Canadim Team!

Recent articles

Canadian immigration 2020 | Newcomers to Canada

Digital Device Examination at the Canadian Border

Whether visiting or returning to Canada, you may be subject to an examination by a Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer to determine your admissibility. […]

Canadian immigration 2020 | Inadmissibility

5 Common Canadian Immigration Mistakes (and how to fix them)

The Canadim Law Firm has been successfully helping newcomers come to Canada for almost 20 years. Regardless of whether you choose a legal professional like […]

Comprehensive Ranking System | Express Entry

3 Things You Can Do During Social Distancing To Improve Your Express Entry Application

Since many of you are social distancing, we felt it would be a great time to talk about three things you can do right now […]

International Students

COVID-19: A Guide for International Students in Canada

There’s no denying that right now is a difficult time to be an international student. With the interruption of classes, student residencies shutting down, an […]

Living in Canada | Uncategorized

What Canada Is Doing to Flatten the Curve

Canada has always been a world leader, the nation others look to in times of crisis, and this time around is no different. The Canadian […]

Work in Canada

Employment Insurance Benefits for Foreign Nationals in Canada

Canada’s Employment Insurance (EI) system is available to all eligible workers. This includes all Canadian citizens, permanent residents, and foreign workers on work permits, as […]

Free assessment

Discover your Canadian immigration options. Get your free assessment now!