International Students In Canada Can Bring Their Families

International Students Families

22 Nov, 2016 International Students In Canada Can Bring Their Families

From earning an internationally respected education to working during and after your studies, there are a lot of great benefits to being an international student in Canada. But one of the greatest benefits for international students in Canada is that they may be eligible to bring their families with them.


Family reunification is the second largest category of Canadian immigration. Even if you’re only intending to study in Canada for a couple of years before returning home, you might not want to leave your family behind. Immigration Canada recognizes how hard separation, even brief separation, can be for families. That’s why international students are eligible to bring their families with them when they come to Canada to study.

While here, your spouse or common-law partner would be eligible for an open work permit. So while you’re studying, he or she can work full- or part-time for any employer in Canada without needing a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). If you are granted a post-graduate work permit once you complete your studies, your spouse or partner is eligible to renew their open work permit for the duration of your post-graduate work permit too.

International students are also eligible to bring their dependent children with them while they study. For now, a dependent child is any child under the age of 19, or over the age of 19 who has depended substantially on their parents for financial support since before the age of 19 and is unable to be financially self-supporting because of a mental or physical condition.

If your dependent child is school-aged, they are eligible to attend one of Canada’s free public elementary or secondary schools while you study without needing their own student permit.


Being an international student in Canada may increase your eligibility for permanent residency, or open the door to immigration programs that you weren’t previously eligible for.

Your experience studying, working, and practicing your English or French language proficiency can all contribute to your eligibility. Your partner’s experience working and improving their language proficiency can also contribute to your eligibility.

If you choose to immigrate to Canada permanently following the completion of your studies, you will likely do so through the federal Express Entry system. This system consolidates the three major categories of federal economic immigration and groups all eligible candidates into a pool together. Every candidate in the pool receives a Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score, and the highest ranking candidates are periodically issued invitations to apply (ITA) for permanent residence.

Your CRS score is calculated differently depending on whether or not you are applying with an accompanying partner. If your partner has been living and working in Canada while you study, it’s possible that including them on your submission to Express Entry will increase your CRS score.

You can also double your chances of receiving an ITA if both you and your spouse submit profiles to the Express Entry pool. Your partner’s experience may make them eligible to submit an expression of interest to Express Entry as a principal applicant.

Canadim’s new Study-2-Immigrate program can help you become a Canadian international student. Fill out our free online student assessment today to get started:


Or, discover all of your Canadian immigration options with our free online assessment:



The Canadim Team!

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

?> });