Canadian Visitor's Visa

13 Additional Countries Now Qualify for Visa-Free Travel to Canada

Published on: June 6th, 2023

In an announcement made by immigration minister Sean Fraser, eligible applicants from 13 countries could qualify for visa-free travel.

13 countries have now been added to the electronic travel authorization (eTA) program. Passport holders from these 13 countries travelling by air will now be able to travel to Canada without needing a Temporary Residence Visa (TRV). To be eligible however, travellers from these countries will have to either have held a Canadian visa in the last 10 years or currently have a valid United States non-immigrant visa. The countries that have been added to the eTA program are:

  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Argentina
  • Costa Rica
  • Morocco
  • Panama
  • Philippines
  • St. Kitts and Nevis
  • St. Lucia
  • St. Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Seychelles
  • Thailand
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Uruguay

“Introducing visa-free air travel will make it faster, easier, and more affordable for thousands of travellers to visit Canada for up to six months for either business or leisure” said Canada’s immigration minister. This new change will also help to grow Canada’s economy by further promoting Canadian tourism. It will also help reduce visa caseload by allowing visa applications to be processed more efficiently. 

Travellers who are not eligible for an eTA, or who are travelling to Canada by methods other than air (for example, by car, bus, train and boat—including by cruise ship), will still need a visitor visa

I’m from a country that is not visa-exempt, what will I need to visit?

Canada offers two kinds of visitor visas: single-entry and multiple-entry. The single-entry visa will allow foreign nationals to cross into Canada once. Those with multiple-entry visas can enter and exit as often as they like within the valid duration of their visa. A visitor visa can be granted for a period of up to six months. However, the duration of the visa will be decided by the immigration officer handling your case.

If you have children or grandchildren living in Canada, you might qualify for the super visa for parents and grandparents. This multiple-entry visa allows you to stay in the country for up to two years at a time, helping you to spend more time with your loved ones.

You have the option to extend your visitor visa from inside Canada only if your temporary status is still valid. Remaining in Canada with an expired visitor visa and no in-process extension application can jeopardize future immigration applications. If you have completed the extension application before the expiry of your visa, you can remain in Canada under implied status until the application is processed.

If you are travelling to Canada for business, you may be required to obtain a business visitor visa. It should be noted, however, that this visa is not for temporary foreign workers. A separate work permit is needed to directly engage in the Canadian labour market.

Interested in learning more about immigration to Canada? Complete our online free assessment and a member of our team will be with you shortly to discuss your options!

Free Assessment

Recent articles

Free assessment

Discover your Canadian immigration options. Get your free assessment now!