Canada immigrationinternational experience canadainternational studentworking holiday visayouth worker

4 Ways for Young People to Move to Canada

Published on: July 13th, 2023

Canada is a top destination for young people who are seeking an affordable travel destination and for those seeking a safe, prosperous country to permanently immigrate to. The Canadian government recognizes the unique needs of young people regarding travelling and immigrating, so there are a range of options for young people who wish to travel to Canada, either temporarily or permanently.

Free Assessment

1 – International Student Programs

Canada is a global leader in providing educational opportunities for international students. Not only are Canada’s universities some of the top-ranked schools in the world, but international students get to study in a country which boasts a high level of safety and celebrates cultural diversity. After a person receives a degree or diploma in Canada, it becomes much easier to immigrate permanently, so this is a great pathway for those who seek to make Canada their permanent home.

Canadim’s International Student program helps people who are interested in becoming international students in Canada. Eligible individuals are paired with an Educational Counsellor who provides one-on-one assistance in finding a school, gaining admission, and submitting a study permit application. To find out if you’re eligible for this program, complete Canadim’s free student assessment and we’ll contact you to discuss your options.

 2 – Working Holiday 

The Working Holiday program is designed to give young people the opportunity to travel and work in Canada. Through the Working Holiday program, youth from participating countries can get open work permits, authorizing them to work in Canada for up to 12 months. Working Holiday work permits are “open” work permits, so you have the freedom to live and work anywhere in Canada.

This program is part of International Experience Canada. In order to be eligible, you have to be from one of the IEC participating countries, and be under the maximum age limit. The maximum age changes depending on which country you’re from, but it’s usually under 30 or 35.

 3 – Young Professionals

The Young Professionals program allows people from other countries to gain work experience in Canada by working with a Canadian employer. You need to already have a job offer from a Canadian employer to participate. So if you don’t already have a job offer, coming as an International Student or through the Working Holiday program may be a better option.

Under the Young Professionals program, you can get an employer-specific work permit, which allows you to work in Canada for one employer in one location for the duration of your stay.

This program is part of International Experience Canada. Like the Working Holiday program, you need to be from a participating country and be under the maximum age limit for your country.

 4 – International Co-op Internship

The International Co-op Internship program is an excellent option for students who are attending school outside of Canada. This program allows international students to complete an internship or work placement in Canada as a part of their post-secondary education. In order to apply, you need to have already received a job offer for a work placement or internship which is required to finish your studies.

Successful International Co-op Internship program applicants receive an employer-specific work permit, meaning that they will have to work for the same employer in the same location for the duration of their time in Canada.

This program is part of International Experience Canada. So, you need to be from a participating country and under the maximum age limit for your country.

 International Experience Canada - Participating Countries

To participate in International Experience Canada, you must be a citizen of one of the countries listed below, and be under the maximum age limit for your country.

CountryWorking HolidayYoung ProfessionalsInternational Co-op Internship
Costa RicaYesYesYes
Czech RepublicYesYesYes
Hong KongYesNoNo
Korea, Rep.YesNoNo
New ZealandYesNoNo
San MarinoYesNoNo
United KingdomYesNoNo

If your country is not listed above, you may still be able to participate in IEC. However, in this case, you must access the program through the assistance of a Recognized Organization.

Free Assessment

Recent articles

International Students

Student Housing In Toronto

Are you a student heading to Toronto for your studies and wondering where to live? Deciding on accommodation is crucial as it significantly affects your […]

International Students

A Guide to Accommodation for International Students In Canada

Canada’s excellent educational institutions, diverse and inclusive society, high quality of life, and post-graduation work opportunities make it an attractive choice for students from around […]

Quebec Immigration

What is RAMQ? A Guide for Newcomers to Quebec

Whether you’ve just arrived to Canada or are planning your move from another province, understanding how to access a health insurance plan in this francophone […]

Living in Canada

Discovering Halifax: A Guide to Life in Nova Scotia’s Coastal Gem

Moving to a new country or city is always a significant decision, filled with excitement and a bit of anxiety. If you’re considering a move […]

Living in Canada

Living in Ottawa: Culture, Cost, and Lifestyle

This Canadian city is a busy place where cultural diversity and government matters come together. Today we will talk about many things that make life […]

Spousal Sponsorship

Understanding Roles: Who is the principal applicant in spousal sponsorship?

When navigating the process of spousal sponsorship in Canada, understanding the different roles involved is crucial. This blog post clarifies these roles to help you […]

Free assessment

Discover your Canadian immigration options. Get your free assessment now!