Canadian Permanent ResidenceCanadian temporary visaDual Intenttemporary visa

Dual Intent in Canadian Immigration

Published on: November 25th, 2016
Last updated: February 14th, 2022

‘Dual intent’ refers to the intention to come to Canada for both temporary and permanent residence. While having dual intent is legitimate, it can make applying for a temporary resident visa more complicated.

Failure to demonstrate dual intent is a common reason for temporary resident visa refusal. This issue often affects overseas spousal sponsorship applicants and can even arise for applicants with a submitted Express Entry profile.

Free Assessment

What is dual intent in Canadian immigration?

Dual intent essentially means a foreign national has two intents – one for permanent residence status and one for temporary residence status. Foreign nationals that apply for a temporary resident visa in Canada, and have already applied for, or have shown their intention to apply for, permanent residence in Canada, demonstrate dual intent.

This may also apply to candidates that have submitted a Canadian Express Entry profile since doing so demonstrates an applicant’s intention to settle permanently in Canada.

How can dual intent affect my Canadian temporary residence application?

To apply for a temporary residence visa (visit, study, or work), foreign nationals must demonstrate their intent to leave Canada by the end of their authorized stay. For applicants that have already established that they plan to settle permanently in Canada, this is often harder to prove.

In other words, dual intent often contradicts the conditions that applicants must meet to come to Canada temporarily.

Can I still come to Canada as a temporary resident if I’ve applied for permanent residence?

Although it might seem contradictory, individuals can receive both temporary residence and permanent residence if they can prove that they have genuine dual intent. When deciding whether to issue a temporary visa, visa officers must assess whether the applicant has the genuine intent to leave the country upon the expiration of their visa. Even if the applicant has an ongoing application for permanent residence, the visa officer may grant a temporary visa if they are convinced that the applicant will respect the terms on which the temporary visa is issued.

If the applicant is not able to convince the visa officer that their dual intent is genuine, the officer may refuse the temporary visa application.

In these types of cases, the visa officer might suspect that the applicant is only applying for a temporary visa in order to live in Canada while their application for permanent residence is processed. Therefore, they have no intent to leave the country when their temporary visa expires. Being refused a temporary visa does not mean that the applicant’s permanent residence visa will be refused.

International students

Foreign nationals who wish to study in Canada must convince the visa officer that they intend to respect the conditions of a temporary visa. Namely, that they intend to leave the country at the expiry of their student visa.

However, the federal government of Canada has an interest in retaining international students following the completion of their studies. Programs like the Post-Graduation Work Permit, and Provincial Nominee Programs for international students, are promoted to make it easier for international students to remain in Canada once their program of study is completed. This would seem to directly contradict the conditions that international students must meet in order to be issued a student visa.

This is a common example of where dual intent applies. When applying for a study permit, the foreign national must clearly demonstrate that he or she intends to respect the requirement that study permit holders leave Canada by the end of the period authorized for their stay. That foreign national’s desire to apply for permanent residence before or during the period of study in Canada does not automatically preclude them from being issued a temporary visa, as long as they meet this condition.

Spousal sponsorship

When assessing temporary residence applications, visa officers often look at whether the applicant has strong ties to Canada to determine whether they would likely leave Canada by the time their permit expires. For this reason, the refusal rate of temporary resident visas (TRV) to applicants with an ongoing overseas spousal sponsorship application is very high.

While it is possible for spousal sponsorship applicants to receive a TRV, it can be made much more difficult due to their strong ties to Canada.

How to demonstrate genuine dual intent

Visa officers must distinguish between applicants who hold genuine dual intent and those who have no intention of leaving Canada if the application for permanent residence is refused. It’s up to the applicant to convince the visa officer that they have dual intent.

When determining whether an applicant has genuine dual intent on a temporary visa application, an officer looks at several factors, including:

  • How long do they plan to stay in Canada
  • Whether they have strong ties or obligations in their home country (ex. work, family, property)
  • Their reason for coming to Canada temporarily
  • Whether they have previously overstayed a visa, in Canada, or any other country

When preparing an application for temporary residence, it is important to address the above factors to help demonstrate one’s genuine dual intent.

If your application for permanent residence is approved while you are in Canada, you do not need to leave at the end of your temporary status. Once you become a Canadian permanent resident (PR), you can stay in Canada as long as you continue to meet PR obligations.

Free Assessment

Recent articles

Immigration Tips

What is the CELPIP Test for Canadian Immigration?

CELPIP stands for the Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program and is an English test that allows test takers to demonstrate their ability to function […]

Canada Permanent Residence

How Soon Should You Move to Canada After Your PR is Approved?

If your overseas Express Entry permanent residence (PR) application has been approved, you will eventually need to move to Canada. Many new confirmed PRs choose […]

Canada Work Permit

Top In-Demand Jobs in Canada for 2022

The job vacancy rate in Canada was at an all-time high at the end of 2021. While various jobs are in-demand across Canada, several have […]

Canada Permanent Residence

How Does Canada Verify Work Experience for Immigration?

When applying for Canadian permanent residence, immigration officers may use several methods to verify your work experience history.


5 Ways to Stay in Canada After Your PGWP Expires

With FHS Express Entry draws paused indefinitely, many international graduates feel limited in their options to remain in Canada after their PGWP expires.

Study Permit

Do I Need a Permit to Study Online in Canada?

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed education across the globe; with online learning becoming the new norm, there has been some confusion surrounding whether a permit is required to study online in Canada.


Crimes That Will Make You Inadmissible to Canada

If you have a criminal record and are planning to come to Canada, it is important to understand the types of crimes that will make […]

Canada Permanent Residence

Top Four Best Provinces in Canada for New Immigrants

A question we are often asked is, “What is the best province in Canada for immigrants?” With Canada being the second-largest country in the world, […]

Study Permit

Can a Study Permit be Changed to a Work Permit in Canada?

Looking to change from a study permit to a work permit? The process will depend on where you are at in your program.

Canada Permanent Residence

Temporary Resident to Permanent Resident (TR to PR) Pathway (closed)

As of May 6, 2021, essential workers and international graduates currently working in Canada can apply for Canadian permanent residency under favourable new Immigration programs.

Canada Work Permit

Canada Launches New Open Work Permit for Hong Kong Residents

Starting February 8th 2021, eligible Hong Kong residents can apply for a 3 year Canadian open work permit, designed to give highly educated Hong Kong residents the opportunity to gain valuable Canadian work experience.

Canada Permanent Residence

Landing in Canada During COVID-19

In order to finish your application process for Canadian permanent residency, you need to land in Canada. As of June 21, 2021, applicants who have […]

Canada Permanent Residence

How to Immigrate to Canada From Nigeria

Nigerian immigration to Canada has become increasingly popular in recent years. In fact, Nigeria is one of the main source countries of Canada’s immigrant population; […]

Canada Permanent Residence

How to Immigrate to Canada From Lebanon

The Lebanese population in Canada is one of the fastest growing demographics. In 2001, there were nearly 144,000 Lebanese in Canada. According to the 2016 […]

Canada Permanent Residence

Best Ways to Immigrate to Canada From India in 2022

There are many options to immigrate to Canada from India. In fact, Indian nationals have the highest success rate when applying for Canadian immigration compared […]

Work in Canada

The Ultimate Guide to Finding a Job in Canada in 2022

Many foreign nationals look to Canada as a land of opportunity, hoping to secure a comfortable life for themselves and their families. One of the […]

International Students

Can you Study in Canada Without Taking the IELTS?

Most colleges and universities require international students to show they are comfortable working in English or French, but there are some exceptions. Hopeful international students […]

Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program

Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program (AIPP): How to find a job offer

Canada’s Atlantic Immigration Program (AIP) has been growing in strides since its introduction in 2017, and has quickly become a promising option for those interested […]

International Students

PNP Immigration Options for International Students in 2022

If you want to come study in Canada as an international student, you might be wondering which province you should study in. Are there benefits to […]

Study Permit

5 Steps to Getting your Canadian Study Permit

Canada is becoming an increasingly popular destination for international students coming from all over the world. Before you can come to study in Canada, there are a few […]

Living in Canada

Best Places to Relocate in Canada From the US

Considering making the move across the border from the U.S. to Canada? You’re not alone. In 2019, more than 10,000 U.S. residents made the move […]

International Students

Studying in Canada vs the USA: Six Big Reasons to Choose Canada

Speedy processing times for study permits, top-quality educational institutions, and an open and welcoming society are just some of the factors that influence international students […]

Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)

How to Get a Canadian Provincial Nomination Certificate

Provincial nomination certificates have become an increasingly popular way to immigrate to Canada. There are dozens of Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs), each with its own […]

International Students | Study Permit

5 Reasons Canadian Study Permit Applications Get Refused

Studying in Canada is a dream come true for many international students. When you receive a letter of acceptance from a Canadian school, it might […]

Immigration Tips

How to Write a Reference Letter for Canadian Immigration

To be eligible for most Canadian economic immigration programs, you need to have some work experience. For many streams, that work experience needs to be […]

International Students

How to Bring Your Family With You While Studying in Canada

There are a lot of great benefits to being an international student in Canada, including the ability to bring family with you while you study.  […]

Work in Canada

How to Immigrate to Canada as a Tech Worker

Canada’s tech sector is booming and needs labour to sustain its growth; for this reason, the Canadian government offers ample immigration options for tech workers […]

Canada Permanent Residence

Immigrating to Canada as a Single Parent

If you are planning to immigrate to Canada as a single parent, there are few things you should know before you start the process.


Immigrating to Canada as a Recent Graduate

Canada’s low employment rate, high quality of life, and boundless opportunities make it a great country for new graduates. If you’ve just completed a foreign […]

Immigration Tips

What is an AOR in Canadian Immigration?

An Acknowledgment of Receipt (AOR) is an official document that confirms that Immigration, Refugees, Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has received your application. IRCC issues an AOR […]

Free assessment

Discover your Canadian immigration options. Get your free assessment now!