Working in a Regulated Occupation in Canada

Published on: March 29th, 2017
Last updated: February 10th, 2022

Regulated occupations are controlled by provincial and territorial law and governed by a regulatory body or apprenticeship authority. If you work in a regulated occupation, you’ll need to get accredited to practice here when you immigrate. Do you know if your occupation is regulated in Canada?

Find out your Canadian immigration options

About 20% of all occupations in Canada are regulated. It can seem confusing to many newcomers with years of experience in their field that they’re not able to practice when they arrive in Canada. Especially since it’s often those years of experience and credentials that made them eligible to apply to immigrate in the first place.

If you’re planning to immigrate to Canada, it’s a good idea to check if the profession you intend to work in is regulated in the province you intend to live in. If it is, there may be steps you can take to begin the accreditation process right away.

What is a regulated occupation in Canada?

Regulated occupations in Canada are occupations that are governed by a regulatory body or apprenticeship office. If your occupation is regulated, you must have a certificate, license, or registration to legally practice in Canada.

Each province and territory are responsible for regulating occupations. Since the accreditation requirements may be different between provinces, you should know which province you will settle in before starting the licensing or certification process.

Some occupations in Canada, like healthcare professions, are regulated to protect public health and safety. Other occupations, like law or accounting, are regulated to make sure that people working in these jobs are qualified.

Non-regulated occupations in Canada

Occupations that are not regulated in Canada, like IT or tech occupations, do not require licensing to legally practice in Canada.

Some non-regulated occupations may have voluntary certification, licensing, or registration. While this requirement isn’t required to legally practice in Canada, some employers may ask for this as a requirement.

What is required to become regulated in my occupation?

The process of becoming regulated in Canada will depend on the province that you intend to work in. Most regulatory bodies require an Education Credential Assessment (ECA) report, demonstrating your foreign credential’s Canadian equivalent. Some regular bodies may require proof of your work experience in the industry and language proficiency. Certain occupations will also require foreign-trained workers to complete an examination demonstrating their knowledge in the field.

Depending on your occupation, you may need to go through both federal and provincial processes. For example, foreign-trained physicians must pass licensing exams and complete training to receive a Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada (LMCC). After receiving the LMCC, they must then become licensed in the province that they intend to practice in.

Occupational regulators by province

Each province has its own regulatory bodies that govern certain occupations. Below you will find a list of resources to learn more about the regulatory bodies and occupations in each province.

British Columbia – B.C. Occupational Regulators

B.C.’s Occupational Regulators page provides a list of provincial regulatory bodies, sorted by sector.

Alberta – Alis – Certificates in Alberta

Alberta’s career, learning, and employment information website, Alis, provides up-to-date information on all certification and registration requirements for Alberta occupations.

Saskatchewan – Saskatchewan Regulatory Bodies

Saskatchewan provides a list of regulatory bodies in the province by occupation. The province of Saskatchewan also has a Regulated Occupations and Licensing Requirements page, which provides more information on the process of becoming regulated in your role.

Manitoba – Regulated Professions and Trades

Manitoba provides a list of the most common regulated professions and trades professions with compulsory certifications in the province. Manitoba also has a page dedicated to answering frequently asked questions on regulated professions and trades.

Ontario – Resources related to your profession, trade, or sector

The Ontario government hosts a page dedicated to helping foreign-trained workers continue working in their profession or trade in Ontario. Here you will find a list of regulatory bodies and organizations that govern professions or trades in the province.

Quebec – Regulated Professions and Trades

Quebec’s webpage provides information on regulated professions and trades in the province.

New Brunswick – Certified Occupations

New Brunswick’s Certified Occupations page provides a list of certified occupations and the corresponding regulatory bodies.

Nova Scotia – Recognizing Credentials

Nova Scotia’s Recognizing Credentials page provides a preliminary guide to transferring your foreign credentials when moving to Nova Scotia. The government of Nova Scotia hosts a separate webpage for Regulatory Bodies in the province.

Prince Edward Island – Foreign Qualification Recognition

Prince Edward Island’s Foreign Qualification Recognition file provides information on the process of transferring your foreign qualifications to work in PEI. The PDF also provides a list of the regulatory authorities responsible for overseeing each regulated occupation the province.

Support for newcomers

Once in Canada as a permanent resident, there are a lot of newcomer support services that will be able to guide you through the process of becoming accredited in your profession. That process can be as simple as submitting your foreign credentials to the regulatory authority for evaluation, or as complicated as having to take courses to earn Canadian credentials.

Interested in learning more about how you can immigrate to Canada? Complete our free online assessment today!

Free Assessment

Recent articles

Immigration Tips

What is the CELPIP Test for Canadian Immigration?

CELPIP stands for the Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program and is an English test that allows test takers to demonstrate their ability to function […]

Canada Permanent Residence

How Soon Should You Move to Canada After Your PR is Approved?

If your overseas Express Entry permanent residence (PR) application has been approved, you will eventually need to move to Canada. Many new confirmed PRs choose […]

Canada Work Permit

Top In-Demand Jobs in Canada for 2022

The job vacancy rate in Canada was at an all-time high at the end of 2021. While various jobs are in-demand across Canada, several have […]

Canada Permanent Residence

How Does Canada Verify Work Experience for Immigration?

When applying for Canadian permanent residence, immigration officers may use several methods to verify your work experience history.


5 Ways to Stay in Canada After Your PGWP Expires

With FHS Express Entry draws paused indefinitely, many international graduates feel limited in their options to remain in Canada after their PGWP expires.

Study Permit

Do I Need a Permit to Study Online in Canada?

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed education across the globe; with online learning becoming the new norm, there has been some confusion surrounding whether a permit is required to study online in Canada.


Crimes That Will Make You Inadmissible to Canada

If you have a criminal record and are planning to come to Canada, it is important to understand the types of crimes that will make […]

Canada Permanent Residence

Top Four Best Provinces in Canada for New Immigrants

A question we are often asked is, “What is the best province in Canada for immigrants?” With Canada being the second-largest country in the world, […]

Study Permit

Can a Study Permit be Changed to a Work Permit in Canada?

Looking to change from a study permit to a work permit? The process will depend on where you are at in your program.

Canada Permanent Residence

Temporary Resident to Permanent Resident (TR to PR) Pathway (closed)

As of May 6, 2021, essential workers and international graduates currently working in Canada can apply for Canadian permanent residency under favourable new Immigration programs.

Canada Work Permit

Canada Launches New Open Work Permit for Hong Kong Residents

Starting February 8th 2021, eligible Hong Kong residents can apply for a 3 year Canadian open work permit, designed to give highly educated Hong Kong residents the opportunity to gain valuable Canadian work experience.

Canada Permanent Residence

Landing in Canada During COVID-19

In order to finish your application process for Canadian permanent residency, you need to land in Canada. As of June 21, 2021, applicants who have […]

Canada Permanent Residence

How to Immigrate to Canada From Nigeria

Nigerian immigration to Canada has become increasingly popular in recent years. In fact, Nigeria is one of the main source countries of Canada’s immigrant population; […]

Canada Permanent Residence

How to Immigrate to Canada From Lebanon

The Lebanese population in Canada is one of the fastest growing demographics. In 2001, there were nearly 144,000 Lebanese in Canada. According to the 2016 […]

Canada Permanent Residence

Best Ways to Immigrate to Canada From India in 2022

There are many options to immigrate to Canada from India. In fact, Indian nationals have the highest success rate when applying for Canadian immigration compared […]

Work in Canada

The Ultimate Guide to Finding a Job in Canada in 2022

Many foreign nationals look to Canada as a land of opportunity, hoping to secure a comfortable life for themselves and their families. One of the […]

International Students

Can you Study in Canada Without Taking the IELTS?

Most colleges and universities require international students to show they are comfortable working in English or French, but there are some exceptions. Hopeful international students […]

Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program

Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program (AIPP): How to find a job offer

Canada’s Atlantic Immigration Program (AIP) has been growing in strides since its introduction in 2017, and has quickly become a promising option for those interested […]

International Students

PNP Immigration Options for International Students in 2022

If you want to come study in Canada as an international student, you might be wondering which province you should study in. Are there benefits to […]

Study Permit

5 Steps to Getting your Canadian Study Permit

Canada is becoming an increasingly popular destination for international students coming from all over the world. Before you can come to study in Canada, there are a few […]

Living in Canada

Best Places to Relocate in Canada From the US

Considering making the move across the border from the U.S. to Canada? You’re not alone. In 2021, close to 12,000 U.S. residents made the move […]

International Students

Studying in Canada vs the USA: Six Big Reasons to Choose Canada

Speedy processing times for study permits, top-quality educational institutions, and an open and welcoming society are just some of the factors that influence international students […]

Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)

How to Get a Canadian Provincial Nomination Certificate

Provincial nomination certificates have become an increasingly popular way to immigrate to Canada. There are dozens of Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs), each with its own […]

International Students | Study Permit

5 Reasons Canadian Study Permit Applications Get Refused

Studying in Canada is a dream come true for many international students. When you receive a letter of acceptance from a Canadian school, it might […]

Immigration Tips

How to Write a Reference Letter for Canadian Immigration

To be eligible for most Canadian economic immigration programs, you need to have some work experience. For many streams, that work experience needs to be […]

International Students

How to Bring Your Family With You While Studying in Canada

There are a lot of great benefits to being an international student in Canada, including the ability to bring family with you while you study.  […]

Work in Canada

How to Immigrate to Canada as a Tech Worker

Canada’s tech sector is booming and needs labour to sustain its growth; for this reason, the Canadian government offers ample immigration options for tech workers […]

Canada Permanent Residence

Immigrating to Canada as a Single Parent

If you are planning to immigrate to Canada as a single parent, there are few things you should know before you start the process.


Immigrating to Canada as a Recent Graduate

Canada’s low employment rate, high quality of life, and boundless opportunities make it a great country for new graduates. If you’ve just completed a foreign […]

Immigration Tips

What is an AOR in Canadian Immigration?

An Acknowledgment of Receipt (AOR) is an official document that confirms that Immigration, Refugees, Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has received your application. IRCC issues an AOR […]

Free assessment

Discover your Canadian immigration options. Get your free assessment now!