Relative In Canada & Canadian Immigration

Relative in Canada - Canadian Immigration

25 Aug, 2014 Relative In Canada & Canadian Immigration

Did you know: If you, or your accompanying spouse has a relative in Canada it could make it easier for you to qualify for programs like the Federal Skilled Worker program? Your relative will need to be either a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident in order to claim them on your application but not all relatives will award points so it is important to know the facts.

Get a free online assessment and start your Canadian Immigration process

Types of Relatives Eligible for Points:

  1. Mother or Father
  2. Son or daughter
  3. Niece or Nephew
  4. Grandmother or Grandfather
  5. Aunt or Uncle
  6. Grandchild
  7. Brother or Sister

You will note that cousins and close friends are not included on the list and hence are not eligible to award additional points.

Is my relative in Canada sponsoring me for immigration?

Please understand that having a relative in Canada like the ones listed above does not make you eligible for Canadian Immigration. This is not spousal or parental sponsorship. Your relative is not sponsoring you; they are not taking responsibility for you in any way with the immigration authorities and they are not the reason you are eligible. If you are eligible to apply it is because of your own credentials and work experience. Having a relative in Canada simply adds 5 points to your application under the adaptability factor, which can help push your application above the FSW program’s 67 point pass mark.

It is important to note that your relative must be living in Canada in order to claim points. You will have to prove that they are your biological relative with documentation like birth certificates, proof they are actually residing in Canada (a lease or recent utility bill will suffice) and proof of that they are either a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident.

Spousal and Parental Sponsorship:

Unless your relative in Canada is a spouse, common-law partner or your adult child, most likely, they cannot sponsor you to come here. Having a friend or other type of relative who is willing to ‘sponsor’ you to come to Canada is NOT possible under Canada’s current immigration system.

Spousal sponsorship is the category in which you would sponsor a spouse, common-law partner or dependent child and processing times for these applications vary depending on which country the foreign spouse is applying from.

Parental sponsorship is also a valid category of immigration where an adult child can sponsor their parents or grandparents to come to Canada provided the Canadian child has been living in Canada for at least 3 years and can demonstrate sufficient financial assets. The quota for this program is very low and often fills up quickly so if you are interested in this category it’s best to contact us and we can begin working on the application well before the program opens up on January 1st, 2015.


The Canadim Team!

  • Shahab
    Posted at 11:01h, 26 August

    Hello there..Yep one our relative live in Canada..Honestly my cousin..maternal..She lives in Toronto for I guess 6 or 7 years.Also I’m studying English interpretation course in Tehran university and next year I will graduate..I wish I were in Canada and keep my studying there and find a job in my field skills..Thank you so much for your information

  • sonia mendoza
    Posted at 01:04h, 29 August

    Hi,,i want to know how my relatives can help to go to canada,,currently im working ing singapore as a domestic helper,,what is the best way thry can do for me,,thank you,,,

  • najib
    Posted at 01:03h, 12 September

    I am afghan . I want immigration to canada how i can do it? Please instruct me .

?> });