Changing Your Marital Status in Express Entry Profile

Published on: September 8th, 2022
Last updated: February 29th, 2024

While marriage is certainly a joyous time to celebrate, it may leave you with questions when it comes to your Express Entry application. Many people wonder when and if they need to Inform IRCC if marriage happens while applying for Express Entry.


Express Entry stands as a widely embraced and expeditious pathway for immigrants seeking permanent residence in Canada. Annually, Canada extends a warm welcome to over 10,000 skilled workers through this streamlined system.

To get started, you need to create a profile in the Express Entry system. This is the first important step if you want to move to Canada through programs like the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW), Federal Skilled Trades (FST), Canadian Experience Class (CEC). By crafting a comprehensive profile, candidates position themselves within a pool of potential  candidates. Within this pool, you are assigned a Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score, taking into account factors such as age, education, language proficiency, work experience,  marital status, between others.

Periodically, the Canadian government conducts draws from this pool, extending invitations to candidates with higher CRS scores to apply for permanent residence.

Maintaining an updated profile is crucial. Any changes, whether it be a new address, improved language proficiency scores, or alterations in marital status, should be promptly reflected in the applicant’s profile. This diligence ensures that the CRS score accurately mirrors the candidate’s current circumstances, thereby optimizing their prospects of receiving an invitation to apply for permanent residence in Canada.


What will happen if I get married after Submitting my Express Entry Profile?

The IRCC mandates that you disclose any changes to your application, including information about dependent spouses. You will then have an option of whether or not to add them as dependents on their own applications. This however will require additional paperwork. 

What is an ITA?

The Invitation to Apply (ITA), sometimes referred to as the electronic Application for Permanent Residence (eAPR), is the final step of the Express Entry program. The eAPR application provides the documents that support the details listed in your initial Express Entry profile. 

Once you receive an ITA for Canadian permanent residence, you’re well on your way to fulfilling your Canadian immigration dreams!

What if I get married after getting ITA but before I submit my PR application?

If you get married after getting an Invitation to Apply (ITA) but before you apply for PR, you will still need to update your family information with IRCC. Because your family composition has changed, the IRCC needs to be informed. This applies even if your spouse is not accompanying you to Canada. If your spouse is accompanying you, your CRS points may have changed. Be sure to check that you still reach the CRS cut-off for the draw you were selected in.

Can I add my spouse to my PR application after ITA and once I have submitted my PR application?

Yes, if you have already submitted a PR application, you can add your new spouse to your application. You first need to advise IRCC about your change in marital status. IRCC will then send you a list of documents needed to add your spouse to your application.

How to Add My Spouse in the Express Entry Profile

Adding your spouse to your Express Entry profile involves providing accurate and complete information about your marital status and your spouse’s details. Here are the steps to add your spouse to your Express Entry profile:

  1. Log into Your Express Entry Account: Access your Express Entry account using your unique username and password.
  2. Update Personal Information: Once logged in, navigate to the personal information section of your profile. Look for the section related to marital status or family details.
  3. Select Marital Status: Update your marital status to reflect the current situation. If you were initially single and are now married, select the appropriate option indicating that you are married.
  4. Provide Spouse’s Information: After updating your marital status, you will be prompted to provide information about your spouse. This includes details such as full name, date of birth, country of birth, nationality, and other relevant information.
  5. Verify and Save: Review the information you have entered for accuracy. Ensure that all details are correct before saving the changes.
  6. Provide Supporting Documents: Depending on your situation, you may be required to provide supporting documents to verify your marital status and the legitimacy of your relationship. Common documents include marriage certificates, photos, joint bank statements, and other evidence of a genuine relationship.
  7. Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Score: Your Express Entry profile is assigned a CRS score, and adding a spouse can affect this score. Be aware that additional points may be awarded for factors such as your spouse’s language proficiency, education, or Canadian work experience.
  8. Submit and Monitor Your Profile: After making the necessary updates, submit your profile. Keep an eye on your Express Entry account for any updates or requests for additional information from the immigration authorities.

Remember that the information you provide must be accurate and supported by relevant documentation. Providing false information can have serious consequences on your immigration application.

How do I check the status of my spouse in my immigration application?

To check the status of your spouse in your immigration application, you can log in to My Account and view their details. If they are not listed as a dependent on your application, then this means that IRCC has not yet processed their information. As per current Canadian immigration rules, spouses must be admissible to Canada. Which means they must meet the medical, criminal, and security requirements. If they do not meet any of these requirements, they will be considered inadmissible to Canada, which will directly impact your PR application.



Any other questions about marriage while applying for Express Entry or unsure if you or your spouse could qualify? Take our assessment to get a full idea of all your options and learn more.

Free Assessment

Recent articles

Canada Work Permit | Work in Canada

How to Extend Your Work Permit in Canada

By extending your work permit, you ensure that you can legally continue working in Canada without any interruptions and fully comply with Canadian immigration laws.

Newcomers to Canada | Work in Canada

How to Immigrate to Canada as a Veterinarian

Canada is a popular destination for many professionals with work experience and language proficiency, including professionals in veterinary medicine. Learn how you can take advantage […]

Canada Permanent Residence | Immigration Tips | Newcomers to Canada

Best PR Pathway for French-speaking Newcomers to Canada

Recently, in Canada’s immigration landscape, one aspect stands out: the continued search for skilled French-speaking workers. Discover here the best permanent residency pathways for French-speaking […]

Living in Canada | Newcomers to Canada

Exploring Immigration Pathways from the UK to Canada

The journey from the UK to Canada can be undertaken through various immigration pathways, each with unique requirements and benefits. Join us as we explore […]

International Students

Vancouver Housing Options for International Students

Are you deciding on the best city for your academic journey and considering Vancouver? Let’s explore your potential living arrangements there—whether it’s on-campus or off-campus […]

International Students

Montreal Housing Options for International Students

Are you an international student gearing up for your journey to Montreal? Let’s dive into where you might be hanging your hat during your studies—on-campus […]

Free assessment

Discover your Canadian immigration options. Get your free assessment now!