Did you know: Common-law partners

Common-law partners Canadian Immigration

14 Feb, 2013 Did you know: Common-law partners

Did you know: you and your partner can be considered common-law partners for Canadian Immigration purposes, provided you can demonstrate you are in a relationship (see list below) and have resided together for a year or longer continuously. Short breaks in cohabitation are acceptable for employment, travel and family obligations provided they are temporary and the vast majority of your time is spent residing at your combined household.

Applying as common-law partners, regardless of gender, awards you and your partner the same rights and freedoms as a married couple when applying to immigrate to Canada.

You can be considered common-law if you are still married to another person provided that the matrimonial relationship has irretrievably broken down and you have lived separately from your previous spouse for long enough to establish a common-law relationship (365 days).

See also: Conjugal Partners

  • Documents to provide in support of your common-law status:
  • Joint bank accounts and/or credit cards;
  • Joint ownership of residential property;
  • Joint residential leases;
  • Joint rental receipts;
  • Joint utilities accounts (electricity, gas, telephone);
  • Joint management of household expenditures;
  • Evidence of joint purchases, especially for household items;
  • Correspondence addressed to either or both parties at the same address;
  • Important documents of both parties show the same address, e.g., identification documents, driver’s licenses, insurance policies;
  • Shared responsibility for household management, household chores, etc.;
  • Evidence of children of one or both partners residing with the couple;
  • Telephone calls/records


The Canadim Team!


No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

?> });